my baby is 6wks old and bad with reflux and colic, the docs said wen we start spoonfeeding he will improve. how long should i leave it 2start givin him the baby rice?

caz750

Asked by caz750 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's doc had be spoonfeed my son cereal at 2 weeks old and it helped right away. My son had no issues and no lasting issues. Ask the doctor>

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Has the doctor tried any medications? We did Axid with my son and saw an improvement within a few days. Personally, I think 6 weeks is a bit young for rice. But, your kid, your decision. Also, I don't know whether you do formula or breast, but I do know that breastmilk helps soothe the pain from the acid.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I still dont think its good idea to give babies under 4months any kind of food. But I know alot of people who have and I dont really think it made a difference. My girls (especially DD #2) had really bad reflux. My son had it and was on meds for it at 5months old. 1 of my DDs grew out of it around 4months and the 3rd had it for almost a year! She was terrible!!! Spoonfeeding did not help at all. But good luck, Its not fun I know that!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 6:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Would it be safer to give the baby rice milk instead of rice cereal?
    Anonymous

• tell your baby's dr you want meds for this. my daughter who is 5 months old now has bad reflux and her dr put her on zantac and she is doig so much better.. i didnt want to do cereal so i asked for meds and they work wonderfully and besides i did rice cereal with one of my others and it caused bad belly aches..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 6:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Do not give your baby rice cereal. Your baby needs formula or breastmilk ONLY, no other kinds of milk.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2009