How can I bring my milk supply back up, after not BFing for 2-3 days?

I am still lactating (as in, I have liquid coming from both breasts still, I also feel my let down but definitely not as much). I had thought I wanted to go to feeding formula, because my daughter lost a pound in 1 week. She gained 5 oz after leaving the hospital but then lost almost a pound this past week. I really don't want to quit nursing, and if it's possible to get my milk supply back up I really want to go back full time. I just don't want to quit and really want to get my supply back up! Please help, I'm not ready to give up!

tiffanyderr10

Asked by tiffanyderr10 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sure, no problem. It is easy if your baby will latch with no problem and your nipples arent't sore. Women can even breastfeed adopted babies.

For more info go to kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Then nurse, nurse, nurse. Do you have a breast pump? To increase my supply I nursed on one side while I used the pump on the other side. I made sure to switch breasts, so the baby could completely empty the other breast, it also help stimulate milk production. The pump won't do it as effectively.
    Good Luck...you are really making the best choice for your baby.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• This early on, I say ditch the bottles asap and just nurse constantly.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Thank you for quick replies! I am definitely going to eat a bowl of oatmeal a day to help, but do you think I should get some of the Fenugreek or teas they have available to help out also? I'm just afraid to go back to nursing 100% because they said she lost a pound and I don't want them to get DCF involved, they may think I'm starving her!
    tiffanyderr10

Answer by tiffanyderr10 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Just nurse her. Lay in bed with lots of skin to skin contact and nurse as much as possible.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Take Fenugreek or Blessed Thistle if you want but I'd nix the teas. They are generally too weak to work. Deffinately just nurse as much as possible. If she's still hungry on the R breast switch to the L and keep on switching. You should be able to experience let down every ten minutes.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• fenugreek works great when taken properly
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 10:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My daugther was a preemie and in the NICU for a while after she was born. I had to pump to keep up my milk supply, but it was worth it. I nursed her for 9 mos, but I had to supplement with a high-calorie preemie formula too, b/c she was so tiny. It's hard, but remember breast feeding is all supply and demand as long as you haven't lost your milk, increasing the demand should increase the supply.
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 9:27 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Don't stop nursing! In fact, nurse frequently, at least every 2 hours. Drink lots of water; at least 8 8oz glasses a day, plus 6 oz every time you nurse. Get Brewers Yeast tablets (whole foods or a health food store). Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby. Relax !!!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2009