Finger injury

My 23 month old had her ring finger slammed in a door. When I took her to the dr he said she had a chipped bone in the tip of her finger, and and couldn't tell by the swelling if she injuried the growth plate in her finger. Anyway, it's been almost a week and her finger is still swollen, is this normal? She will not bend her finger at all and it looks like the top of her finger is bent to the right. I've never dealt with a finger injury so I don't know what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Health

• I can't talk about the bone, but the "growth plate" your doctor was talking about sounds like the fingernail "matrix". It's where the fingernail starts to grow from. If it's damaged, it will affect how the fingernail grows out for the rest of her life.

I hope she heals soon. :(
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The growth plate is a plate over the bones in the hands and feet that grow with the child as they grow. It covers the muscles and tendons. My son sprained the growth plate in his foot and he healed good, although he has tightness in the muscle because the bone is growing at a different rate as the tendons and muscles. The growth plate affects how the bones grow, not the fingernail. Seeing it has been a week and she is still swollen, I would call the doctor back and see if there is anything else you can do other than ice and ibuprofen. Once the swelling goes down, I would make an appointment with a sports medicine doctor or orthopedic doctor that specialized in kids to make sure the growth plate wasn't affected because if it was it could affect how her hand grows.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes. I went through this with my daughter, except it was in her arm. DH was assembling a cabinet and it fell on her arm. Do follow up right away with your doctor.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009