How common is it for a mom to be to test positive for GBS?

smartin0709

Asked by smartin0709 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is GBS?
    Anonymous

• GBS from my uderstnading from my doctor is testing for aids stds and other things that can harm the baby when it pass through the birth canal and vaginal i dont think its that often it really depends on if you have any of these.
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• GBS is not for testing in STD's or aids...it's just bacteria that some women carry and can happen in 1 out of 4 pregnant women. I actually had it as well. You get a simple shot when your about 2 or 3 mths along then when you are 36 or 37 weeks along so that the baby does not get GBS when coming through the birth canal...as it is not harmful to the mother in most cases...it could cause meningits, still birth, premature labor, it's something that most DR's check for.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 8:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• What Is Group B Strep?

Group B strep (GBS) is a bacteria naturally found in the digestive tract and birth canal of 1 in 4 pregnant women. These women “carry” or are “colonized” with GBS. However, GBS can come and go at any time so each pregnancy can be different. Babies can be infected by GBS before birth and up to 6 months of age because of their underdeveloped immune systems.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 8:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i didn't get any shotd for gbs but when i was in labor they put an antibitotic in my iv
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• its very common. The thing is it can go away on its own and they test for it too early in my mind. Lots of women have it and some only during pregnancy. You can take a vaginal probiotic (orally) that promotes healthy bateria instead of the "bad" kind. If you test postitive they will end up giving you antibiotics during labor.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2009