Would you wear a black dress to a wedding?

I am invited to my neighbors daughters wedding and can't find a dress. I did however find a simple black dress with cap sleeves. It's cinched at the waist and has a small rinestone looking pin ( I think it's Jones New York).Would you wear something like this? Her wedding party is black oink and white. I don't want to look like I'm part of it!

momofne

Asked by momofne at 7:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• ask the bride
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• NOt if her wedding paety is black and white...THEN again my BFF is asking EVERYone to wear black and white at her wedding..So ask the bride..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree, ask the bride. If she is not expecting guests to dress in black and white then you could accessorize with a brightly colored necklace, scarf, shoes, handbag, etc.

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Black is appropriate for most weddings now, especially if it's an evening wedding b/c they are considered to be formal. I remember several people at my wedding in black cocktail type dresses. I never thought anything of it until I read this question. I'm sure you might have some old fashion people telling you not to, but even in my wedding etiquette book, it says it's fine as long as it's not one of the mothers. As long as you aren't standing up there with the wedding party, no one will think you're in it, even if you have on the same colors. Hope you have lots of fun!!

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think if would be just fine. I'm guessing the wedding party is not gonna notice you are wearing black..and I'm sure you won't be the only one.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Go for it! I think it sounds fine, I am sure her wedding party will be in something more formal! I wore a black dress to a wedding in January!

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i would say so, black is a very elegant color, but i guess it really depends on the style of dress.
    Mrs.Killer09

Answer by Mrs.Killer09 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• The only colors you shouldn't wear to a wedding are white and the color of the bridesmaids' dresses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Call me old-fashioned, but don't wear black to a wedding.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2009