Head lice cures

We have headlice. I followed the doctors advice and I used cetaphil in my hair(following directions) and I used the nit comb.

I've vaccumed, bed, couches, floors. I have bagged all clothing and stuffed animals.

Anything else I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• if it comes back you can use baby oil...soak your hair in baby oil and put on a showercap for 5-8 hours (better if used overnight) the baby oil smothers them and when you wash your hair in the morning they just fall out...spray SkinSoSoft by avon in your hair everyday to prevent them from coming back.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I did this w/ Cetaphil: Saturated dry hair and left it on for hours after blowing it dry w/ cetaphil on. It suffocates and lice can't cling to the hair shaft. I did this on both kids for 2 solid weeks. I rinsed it each morning and repeated (a pain). I tossed our bed linens and pillows and towels and backpacks and coats into the dryer for 20 minutes daily. I vacuumed all the floors and furniture and nit picked daily. You have to go to war on the lice or they won't go away. Lice stick around because people don't do the work (nit picking, cetaphil, the drying of everything). It's SO MUCH WORK but if you do it, you'll rid yourself of the problem. All stuffed animals should go into the dryer for 20 minutes too on hot. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You wont get all the nits out at once so continuoiusly keep vaccuming, and washing fabrics you use. And similar to coles mommy. You can use a thick conditioner or mayonaise under a plastic bag to sleep in. This suffocates enything that may hatch after the initial delicing treatment. Reperat as many nights as necessary.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Also, use tea tree oil shampoo or spray a mix of it and water on your child's hair before school.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• the lice cant live off anything but human skin&hair so just wash you linens and thats pretty much all you need to do...spray the furniture and carpet and your vehicle with the lice spray. people act like its a lot of work but if you know what your doing you can have it all gone within 1-2 hours...my stepdaughter kept getting it frm school so every week we were doing a treatment. its not as bad as people think if you know how to handle it. we pray her hair everyday now with SSS from avon and hairpray and gels can also prevent lice so can spraying hair with 1/2 alcohol & 1/2 water.
    its easy and not very time consuming like most people seem to think it is.

also if you wear hats they need to be washed to (i threw all of hers away)
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I second the tea tree oil shampoo and mixture.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• use a black light to see the nits, use vinegar to cut the "glue" on the hair shaft to make the nit come loose, the nits have a hole in the to breath from, so all the head covers (mayo, oil...) they block the breathing hole and the nit dies, but you must remove the nits one at a time if needed... you know the saying... "nit picking" .... you can check the back of the neck for small red marks... this might still be live lice that are active... it took us over a month to be over the issue... good luck...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• also treat the seats of the car and carseats if your child(ren) are still using them like you would the couch
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Even after using the nit comb...there can still be nits, you need to sit down and look through every section of hair...removing by hand, with your fingernails, any nits you see. If you miss one single nit it will hatch and your back in the same boat again!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Repeat the whole prcess again in one week. Eggs from the lice hatch in that time and there might be more lice around. Oh, and I agree with vacuming the carseats or washing the if possible. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2009