breastfeeding and smoking

I breastfeed my son, who is two weeks old. I love it and he does too! I really do feel quilty about my smoking habit though. I dont smoke much, probably a maximum of 5 cigs a day and i never somke around him. Am a bad mom because i cant quit??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course you are not a bad mother, you are what we call in the low norm of being a smoker like I was, you do not smoke around your child. Most smokers would tell you smoke does not bother the baby but that is not true. I breastfeed my youngest but not my eldest and my youngest is 5 points higher than my eldest on all exams like for math, Science, reading, and English. I smoke all the time around my eldest and she always kept an ear infection and colic. My Youngest I never smoked around even went outside the house to smoke and never in the car and she never once had an inner ear infection or colic. So you are a great mother for not smoking around your baby and for breastfeeding. I agree with some other moms always smoke AFTER lol a feeding. HUGS

TimsPrincess1

Answer by TimsPrincess1 at 7:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• No you are not. Studies have shown it is safer for baby to smoke and breastfeed than to smoke and formula feed. Make sure you are only smoking right after a feeding, and cut back as far as possible.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• A baby is the best reason to quit! You're not a bad mom, but you really shouldn't do it. I used to be a smoker until I found out I was pregnant and quit cold turkey, it was really hard for a couple of months but I am very happy that I decided to give smoking the boot!!!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No you aren't. I was doing the same thing you are while BF, if I was even smoking that much. I think I was only smoking maybe once a day then, though. Anyway, I smoke now, when I can. Breastmilk, even coming from a smoker, is still better than formula.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It's great that you are breastfeeding!

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Your not a, bad mom...check out our group "YesISmoke", no bashing, no judgement.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Both smoking and FFing are risk factors for SIDS, and if you didn't BF, you'd be DOUBLING your baby's chances, so you're still doing the best for baby. I highly suggest quitting. If you're only smoking 5 cigs a day, it should be fairly easy with determination.

As a side note: smoking can lower your milk supply, so keep that in mind!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2009