any moms to be or moms that already had kids that are bipolar....

did you get to keep your baby's even though you were bipolar? cause this is my first pregnancy and im bipolar

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im not bipolar, but they cant just take your child away if its not in danger. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless your child would be in danger.
    Anonymous

• I am bipolar and no they can not take your kids away unless you are a threat to them. Can you evaluate your own mood swings? When you are manic, are you agressive? Just talk to your dr about your concerns and they can come up with the best way to treat you both during pregnancy and during the post-partum phase. I'm by no means violent, but I get very antsy and can not sit still during my manic phases, so they upped my dose right after I gave birth to head off a manic state or depressive state. Just be really open with your doctor about how you feel. And no, they can not take your kids unless they are in real danger, so don't worry :)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I am VERY bipolar, been hospitilized 5 times in 6 years, believe it or not, pregnancy leveled me out, I havent had ANY symptoms of it since I got pregnant, I'm not medicated and very happy and calm now- I hope it lasts, doctos will tell u pregnancy can "cure" bipolar, or make it WAY worse, I have a doctor, and meds on hand if I should need them after I have the baby, but Im hoping all is well.
    Good luck, you may be suprised how pregnancy changes you!!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I am not bi-polar but my best friend is. She just had a baby 2 months ago and all is well. They can not take your baby away but they also want to make sure you can be watched at times for post partum depression. My friend decided not to breast feed so that she can get back on her meds and within 6 hours after giving birth, they were starting her back on her regular meds. towards the end of her pregnancy, she became obsesive with things and I could see the manic side coming out in her. Just be careful and make sure someone can check on you from time to time. My best friend does not relize when she gets into one of her manic episodes but luckily her husband is very keen on it and now that she is back on her regular meds, she is fine. Good Luck hun.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009