rice cereal.. in a bottle?

ok my ds is bout 3 months..... last week we gave him a bottle with just 1 teaspoon of rice in his bottle he pasted out after eating and the next morning he had gas and seemed to be backed up... so me and my hubby decided to wait another week or so to try again.. but his mom said we should give it to him everyday to him used to it... what do u think..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until your baby will take cereal out of a spoon. Putting it in the bottle is the lazy way of feeding baby. Besides you don't need to feed them solids till they are 6 months. Why are moms in such a hurry to get solids down their baby?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Well I would give him a little bit every night for the feeding right before bed. It most likely is because his body isn't used to it yet. I would keep trying for a little longer and if he still seems to have problems talk to your doctor. I loved giving a cereal bottle right before bed, it made her tummy nice and full so she would sleep longer and better.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 8:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• go with your own maternal instincts. =) if you think you should wait, go ahead. there's no harm in waiting. but i don't think anything serious will happen if you choose to continue. you just need to monitor his reactions and decide if he's handling it okay.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• my son is 3 months and we feed him rice cereal out of a spoon i never put it in his bottle
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree with a pp use your own judgement about when to feed your baby cereal. I gave my dd cereal at 4mos after consulting her doctor because she just seemed like she wasn't getting full. Also your baby was probably backed up because of the rice cereal it has a tendency to cause constipation.
    nellebutter

Answer by nellebutter at 10:20 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think if you keep forcing it on his little system, you're only going to further his discomfort. Unless you HAVE to give it per doctors orders for something like reflux, you should probably go with your initial decision and wait...preferably until he's ready to eat off a spoon.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I don't think that cereal in a bottle is ever acceptable. Personally, I also feel that 3 mo is too young for solids. You do what you feel is best, but I feel that at this age, all he needs is breastmilk and/or formula. Nothing other then that until at least 6 months. But as I said, this is how I feel, and you see as you see fit for your child.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2009