NON-CHRISTIANS...do you have a favorite Bible verse?

Yeah yeah, I know what you're thinking...but I've been reading The Year of Living Biblically, and I've learned a lot.

I love the whole "love is patient" psalm, proverb...what is it? Someone tell me. It reads like poetry to me, I think it's really pretty.

I also love the story of Moses. Egyptian stuff is awesome.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The passage is 1 Cor. 13:4-7
    4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Ah, thank you ma'am :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My favorite is "I have learned, it whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." I think it's Theselonians. I also love 1 Cor.

I'm Pagan, but I believe the Bible has some really important messages to impart. There are some really beautiful, life-affirming things in the bible that we non-christians should still pay attention to.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• All of Ecclesiastes, but 3:1-8 the best.

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Song of Solomon 2:11-12...because, to me, it's beautiful

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.

For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land

Proverbs 10:12
    Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• is this the same as asking a Christian what their favorite passage in the Devil's handbook is?
    Anonymous

• So, by not being Christian, are you implying that I worship the Devil...or that I'm not allowed to read the Bible?

That is so ignorant, Anon. Feel free to dispense your witty diatribe, but I find it impossible to respect sarcasm from someone without enough (metaphorical) balls to sign their name to it.

As for the question, I also am fond of Song of Solomon 8: 6-7

6 Place me like a seal over your heart,
    like a seal on your arm;
    for love is as strong as death,
    its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
    It burns like blazing fire,
    like a mighty flame.

7 Many waters cannot quench love;
    rivers cannot wash it away.
    If one were to give
    all the wealth of his house for love,
    it would be utterly scorned.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Ati, Philipians 4:11 :-)
    ------------------------
    is this the same as asking a Christian what their favorite passage in the Devil's handbook is?
    ------------------------
    If this question asking non-Christians to say their favorite verse from the Bible is equivalent to a Christian having a favorite book from the Devil's handbook, then aren't you calling non-Christians devil worshippers? The fact of the matter is other religions DO NOT EQUAL the opposite of Christianity.

I'm a Christian and if someone would like to know my favorite passages from the Quran, Upanishads/Gita/Mahabarata, Talmud or any other holy book I may have read, go ahead and ask!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I had no idea the song Turn Turn Turn was from the Bible LOL. I love that song.

And anon...it's hard to worship something you don't believe in. I'm simply interested in all sorts of religions =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• "is this the same as asking a Christian what their favorite passage in the Devil's handbook is? "

only if you ask someone whom follows the devil's handbook.. and no mother on here that I know of does. (note: satanists and Pagans do NOT believe in Satan, therefore do no follow "his" handbook)

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2009