How long do you hold your baby before you put him back to his crib?

I've been reading the "The Baby Book" and it said you should hold your baby until he falls into deep sleep, that takes roughly 20 mins, but I just went to my ped. and she said just console him and put him in his crib as soon as he is drowsy. Is there an estimate time when you should put your infant back to his crib?

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my son i put him in his bed when he was awake...i would rub his back or pat his butt until he got drowsy then leave the room....if he started to fuss id go in there give him a kiss ru his back for a second and say its ok go to sleep...he goes to sleep by himself and has since he was 8 months old
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I co-slept for her first few months, but we like to roll around a lot so I started putting her in her crib. She was always a little awake so she didn't wake up and get disoriented. The first month or so I'd run in there first cry, then I made myself wait a minute, she was never bad about crying though.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• This is really hard. They say to put them down while drowsy but awake but this doesn't work for some babies. Some babies NEED to be parented to bed/sleep, It also depends on what parenting style you want to follow. I do AP and rock my DD if she needs it, wear her in a sling, pat her butt and she sleeps 12 hours at night and 3 good naps
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009