What's the most ridiculous parenting advice you've ever heard?

I think the Brandy in the bottle takes the cake for me. Giving alcohol to an infant, wow.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• not to breastfeed
    Anonymous

• Don't show your baby their reflection in a mirror before their 1st birthday or they will be cross-eyed
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 9:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• "Letting a baby cry is good for their lungs".

What a load of crap.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Ati, EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE told me that when my daughter was born! Even my 23 year old stepsister! Gah! I couldn't stand to hear her screaming in the beginning. Luckily she didn't get colic and she rarely cries now.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• To forward face my son.
    Anonymous

• not to wake my 3 day old child up to eat at night. 'Never wake a sleeping baby'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• cry it out, spanking, etc.

And FF too soon.

And booze on the gums to help them sleep (from my own brother who has no kids, lol).

Oh, and "if you don't out her down she'll never learn to walk!"
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• but mommie: i never woke up my baby to eat. if they are truly hungry, they'll wake up. otherwise you're just teaching them that they need to wake up every so often.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• That if I 'selfishly' had DH out of the room when they were born (he didn't want to be there AT ALL) then he would never bond with my children, eventually he would hate me for 'forcing' him to miss The Ultimate Experience of a Man's Life and he would divorce me in a year or two over the matter.

As it turned out, he WAS NOT in the room for their births, although he came in after the messy part was done. He loves our girls and has bonded with them very strongly. And we're still a tight a couple 14 1/2 years after the birth of our first daughter. So much for divorcing a few years later!
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Wow those are doozies! lol, my neighbor swears this and not just toddlers but adults to, if you get your feet wet you HAVE to wet your earlobes or will catch pneumonia.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009