Is it too late to start reading to my 15 month old if I have never read to him before?

I hate reading so I never do but now I feel guilty. It is too late to start???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope! It will be so good for him. It's never too late to start!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• no it's not. i didn't start reading to my dd until she turned around 2. she was never patient enough to sit still for a story. she used to try to yank the book from me & flip the pages before it was time. but she loves them now & we read a story every night before bed. her little 16 month old sister won't sit still long enough to hear a story either. so no, it's not too late. good luck! =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Never too late :)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It's never to late to start reading to your child, actually your child is at the perfect age to start really paying attention and following the story.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Who cares if htey take the book from you or try to flip the pages OP? Let them explore the damn book! Let them look at pictures, etc.

Of course it's not too late ot start reading. And you SHOULD do it every day, for at least 15 minutes. It is proven to help children later in life when they are in school.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• nope!! never to late to start!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• never to late. i hate reading to my dd too now but is cuz she know alot of her books by memory so when istart readibg she just finishes . but trust ne read read and read. you have no lcue how important its is for thieir development
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Toddlers love books at his age!! It's not too late! My 13 month old likes me to read the SAME books over and over and over again. A month ago she wasn't into reading at all.

Sit him on your lap and let him flip the pages. Point out interesting things like animals, familiar stuff he sees around the house or outside. Tell him what sound the "doggy" makes (woof-woof!) and all that. Trust me, you'll both have a blast!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I also wanted to say that reading should be FUN, not a power struggle as to who is going to flip the pages, etc. I just hold the book for my daughter, and I try to read the page...but if she flips the page before I'm done reading it, oh well! I try to do what I mentioned above.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• it's never too late. besides, earlier than that he probably wouldn't have understood what you were saying anyway. but if you hate reading, get REALLY short books... i mean shorter than dr seuss... you know the kind... 'see jane run' and that stuff.
    treehugger823

Answer by treehugger823 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009