Is my 15 month old to young for a toddler bed?

My little girl is able to climb up and down pretty well on things now. She just barely turned 15 months on the 23 of July. I was wondering is she to young to have her own toddler bed right now?

MackenzieSueILU

Asked by MackenzieSueILU at 9:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really think it depends on the maturity of the child. My now 2 1/2 year old had been in a toddler bed for over a year, but my 14 month old isn't as advanced, so she will still be in the crib for a while.
    atjm0919

Answer by atjm0919 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Really it doesn't go by age too much, whenever you feel she is ready. But IMO, I try to get them in the crib as long as possible, why have them able to get out of bed on their own before they are ready! If she is climbing out of her crib then go ahead and get the toddler bed, it would be safer. But if she's not, then I'd want to keep her contained while I was sleeping.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• no, my dd moved into a toddler bed at 14 mos... she loves it and is 20 mos now! At night I shut her door so she goes to sleep quickly and open it before I go to bed. In the morning she comes and gets me when she's hungry or thirsty. I love it! :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Keep her in the crib for as long as possible.
    Anonymous

• Well you have to think of her safety. Can she climb out of that crib? Yes? Then there's no point in having a crib if she won't stay in it. It's dangerous (you dont want to hear the baby smack on the floor), so as long as her room and your house are baby proofed, a toddler bed is fine. One thing I noticed with my two year old is she would wake up early and go play in the house... go get into things, or wake me and my husband up EARLY... like four a.m. So we got one of those childproofing things you put on a doorknob so she can't get out of her room. If she wants out, she'll go to her door and start knocking, or call my name, and i'll let her out. but it gives me a sense of security knowing she's not going to get up and destroy the house or herself while i'm sleeping.
    treehugger823

Answer by treehugger823 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son was 15 months (now 2 1/2) when I turned his crib into a toddler bed because he kept trying to climb out of the crib. I let him watch me convert it and made a big deal about him going into a "big boy bed". I really wondered if he was going to get up and wander the house so I bought a couple of those spinning door handles that you have to squeeze to open and put one on the inside of his door and just pulled the door shut. In the morning he just knocks on his door and says "Mom!" and I know that he's ready to get up.
    gavinnatalie

Answer by gavinnatalie at 11:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• As soon as my son can walk I'm moving him to the toddler bed...I figure the sooner the better but I wanna make sure he can walk so if he falls out he's able to get back into bed or come get me. I just dont want him to be in the crib too long and then the terrible twos come along and it be even harder to get him to bed
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 10:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2009