How do you deal with a spouse who has anxiety and is depressed?

Can you tell me how you deal with a spouse who is happy one minute and sad the next? How about dealing with someone who has checked themselves into Psych. center? How do you handle this? I totally blame myself!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd support them for being brave enough to check in and get help. The center should advise you on how to help. Leave guilt out of it. Just use positive energy and educate yourself on what's up as soon as the diagnosis comes in.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• First of all don't blame yourself....Why?

Is this person bipolar?...if not get them checked out with the family doctor and go from there.

There is not much you can do for now until you know for sure what is bothering this person. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. You can't blaim yourself for the disease. If your husband is happy one minute and depressed the next it sounds like bipolar disorder.

It is possible to help someone cope. You can make sure they get treatment, don't forget their appointments and take their meds. Talking to a person having problems with anxiety can reduce their anxiety. You can also increase their anxiety.

I have a 21 year old son with bipolar disorder and he also has problems with anxiety. Sometimes when he works alone he has problems with anxiety he can call me and I can help him get his head in the right place so he can make it through his shift. We are in the process of moving and I am anxious. Being around me makes him anxious and I can't help him much. We realize it and he is taking anxiety meds he usually doesn't have to take.

You can go to counseling to learn how to help him.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• First of all never blame yourself, I was in a similar situation not that long ago, tell him to go get some help, some happy pills maybe? Once he gets diagnosed and the meds that he needs, your life will most likely fall back into place. Good Luck!!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009