Are you considered patriotic if you advise other's not to join the military because you don't feel that the war's we fight are worthy of you losing your life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• *are NOT
    Anonymous

• You can love your country and what it stands for without supporting every war we get involved in.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I suppose it depends on how you define patriotism personally. While it is your decision to join or not to join, it is a decisionafforded to you because of our all VOLEENTER military. Something you might want to take into consideration when you are attempting to persuade someone not to join. In addition while you might not agree with this war, you might agree with the cause and reactions of future engagements. I know personally I would want a well trained soldier that had voluntarily enlisted to be fighting a war instead of one that was inadequately trained and put in the same position.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No, I wouldnt consider a person who does that patriotic, I would consider them ignorant. For one, the military does much more than fight wars. Secondly, the freedoms you enjoy EVERYDAY and obviously take for granted have been afforded to you by that very military you bash. Thirdly, joining the military is a very PERSONAL and noble decision. Just because you dont feel things are worth fighting for, doesnt mean others feel the same way.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• UNLESS a person is active military,(or a spouse or family member) I dont feel any one should advise people on whether or not they should enlist. It is that persons right to do it, and unless you are around the military life( i mean immersed in it like family is) than you cant say anything.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't call someone who said that patriotic or unpatriotic --- I would just call them opinionated.
    Anonymous

• Considering we are now pulling out of Iraq, I would assume you don't agree with Afghanistan? Not sure I understand that one. I will say, i do take issue to those who try to talk people out of joining the military, but you do have the right to do that, so no, not necessarily unpatriotic. Of course not very repectful either. So basically, I don't consider you unpatriotic, but I cannot respect you either.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Military wife here. My husband and others like him stand a line every day for your right to "disagree." Patriotic is giving your support to our military whether you like what is going on or not. Let me tell you this m'dear. If we don't face them over there then before you know it we will be facing them over here. I personally don't want "jiihad" carried out in my backyard.

Perhaps before taking such a stance you should talk to some real military people. Find out why they do what they do.

Oh, and when you go to bed each night thank the good Lord for making you an American.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I find this question kind of disrespectful!....Army Wife here...

I THANK GOD EVERYDAY, for people like my husband who stands on those front lines and risks/lose their lives to fight for our freedoms!!

To answer your question, I find it VERY unpatriotic to say something like that!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• "I would assume you don't agree with Afghanistan? Not sure I understand that one"

9/11.. and others... TERRORISTS MURDERED OUR PEOPLE!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009