How do I know if my water just broke?

Hi! okay, I think my water had just broke but im not sure... Im 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I was laying down and when I stood up I noticed my underwear got wetter than usual. I checked and its not my usual discharge but its clear and doesnt have a scent... what should I do?

renays1

Asked by renays1 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its a thicker fluid than pee and a bit slimey I think. I am going to copy and paste an answer I gave someone yesterday:

When my water broke, I couldnt stop it, it just kept coming and coming. I remember our Lamaze instructor saying that if you think your water broke. Sit on the toilet and empty your bladder out. Squeeze together and wiggle then stop squeezing and if you still have fluid coming out, then most likely it is your water. Mine came with a HUGE HUGE gush so it was no denying it was my water and it just did not stop coming. Call your doctor and see what he/she says.

Good Luck!!!! and early congrats
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i put my legs up and i felt thewater come out lil by lil.also i put a pad on and it got wet really quick. just go to the hospital
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• call the labor and delivery nurse. It sounds like it's time

Answer by admckenzie at 9:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It could be your water breaking. It doesn't have to be a gush, it can come out a little at a time. I would call your doctor or L&D and I am sure they will have you come in and get checked because if it was your water breaking, you have to have you baby within 24 hours so it wont get an infection. Also, don't have sex or anyhting also until you know for sure because that can also give the baby an infection.

GL!!!
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 11:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The doc broke my water, so I asked my cousin what to expect. She said she didn't have any contractions at all. She was laying in bed and it gushed out (even on the floor) She said she had some period cramps, but they induced her because it's bad to go too long between your water breaking and giving birth. IDK, I think I'm going to stick some garbage bags under the mattress pad LOL But yeah, I've been leaking all over too. I have to wear pads and I'm pretty sure mine hasn't broke yet.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My guess is that your water broke. I would take a shower (NOT a bath and dont clean your who-ha) call the doc and probably head in. They will put this strip of paper up to your who-ha to check the color that it changes to. If your water broke and you are not contracting, they will have you walk for a bit and then hook you up to pitocin. If you water did not break, they will send you home. But trust me...they deal with ladies coming in who think their water broke when it didnt every single day, dont be embarrassed!

Another thing you can do (which isnt dangerous AT ALL) is push on your fundous (they top of your uterus) If it is your water, chances are it will make it trickle even more
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2009