• In the Spotlight:

Just wondering....

What is colic? What causes it? What helps it? Can you prevent it?

konnorsmommy09

Asked by konnorsmommy09 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Colic is a medical term for "we don't know what the baby is crying but we must have a medical term."

It's a catchall for constant crying that no one can really truly diagnose. And the cause is not really known.

Sometimes the constant crying is caused by gas or hunger or reaction to foods. Sometimes its a way to shut out the world after a long way.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Breastfed babies have it less.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I so agree with gdiamante. We have a book and it has a phrase that I truley believe in. Babies are born 3 months to early.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My 2nd born had colic! Lol. It basically does mean what the first poster said. However doctors are learning a ton about it. Many baby magazines have had some great articles about it (in the last 2 years). My son was in pain, his stomach. I believe it was digestive issues. Anyway we were able to get a prescription to help during his worst bouts. If you end up with an infant with colic find a doctor who is up to date on all the new things they are learning about it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

TOTALLY AGREE WITH ABOVE!

Some think it can be medical; gas, immature gut etc

Some think it can be as a result of an infact being highly sensitivity . If you think that everything to them is stimulating (lights, food, clothes, people, nappies) they get to this point where they meltdown and react by crying. You can jump online and do a test or get this book by Elain Aron, The Highly Sensitive Child.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009