He made a really big deal out of one thing I said...VENTING!

We got some new furniture for our home and my father in law came over to help my husband put some of it together. My son goes crazy for my father in law and was wanting to see him and wouldn't leave him alone. I realized I'd have to take my son outside for them to get anything done-so I decided to go ahead and put some stuff out to yardsale (out entire neighborhood was selling so there were lots of customers). This took me 10 minutes tops. My husband came to me and started yelling to me about needing to take care of my son and that I was taking too long and I picked a bad day to sell and I said to him "this is my everyday life!" meaning that everyday I have to get stuff done while taking care of my son. He got really mad at me because his dad heard it and apparently took it wrong. I was just saying that when he watches my son thats all he does! I have to do housework and watch a toddler! What do you all think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't get it, you took him with you and they got mad? I would let it blow over. They just don't get it. If FIL got upset too bad. I had a FIL like that also. Sorry you are dealing with this today.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• that was way too long, or maybe its just way too hot

just let it go
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I got confused at the end. So u were looking after ur son while selling stuff. Daddy came over and said u need to look after him more and then grandpa got upset bc u said this is how u looks after ur son everyday?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I was going to watch my son once I got all of the stuff set up outside (I'm serious, this didn't even take me 10 minutes!) My son was playing with my FIL when my husband started jumping on to me for starting the yard sale. I was going to watch him if they would wait 10 minutes. All I was saying when I made that comment was that I HAVE to get things done when I watch my son because I ALWAYS watch him. When my husband watches him alone it's playtime and he doesn't know what it feels like to have to watch a child AND get things done at the same time. My FIL has no idea how to watch a child and although he's never said it I'm pretty sure it bothers him if my husband ever has to babysit. My MIL did everything by herself when it came to her kid and I think they feel like I should bear the brunt and just shut up-at least that's what it feels like!
    Anonymous

• I completely understand what you are saying! My husband gets that way too, it's like he can't do several things at the same time. You must truly have a gift, if you can do everything you do everyday WITH a toddler (in my case, a four year old and a 11 month old and then every other weekend HIS oldest son who is 6) *grin* It's amazing how awesome mother's are....Daddy's can't multi-task....I would blow it off!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• oooo that makes more sense and that is completely rude of ur fil. Just because that is how he brought up his son doesnt mean that is how u r going to raise urs. I would be pissed
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes I understand completely. I do have to say it gets easier. I remember saying to my FIL to "get over it times have changed."
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• We are grandparents now, and I still have this issue. My dh loves to play with the grandkids, and expects me to be able to take care of how ever many grandkids happen to be here and still keep the house clean and keep up my daily routine. Then he'll be here and we'll have only 2 grandkids here and he'll get frustrated and yell for me to get these kids so he can get something done....How the heck does he think I get anything done when I have them!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• oh honey, I feel for you. I'm going through this right now. DH has been in a piss ass mood for the past few days and every time I've asked him what was wrong he would just say "nothing". Today my son pooped in his pull up and decided to take it off himself and then he squished it on the carpet, dh was really ticked. I told him not to sweat it, I have a steam cleaner for the carpet and I'd take care of it and he said he was mad about something else. Then he goes on a rant about how he had to clean the house!!! He claims that I'm lazy and don't do a thing. 5 out of the 6 days this week he has been gone at friends houses and I have a toddler that is attached to my hip and its really hard to do things. I have had to get dinner for him and give him baths and I also work at full time job mon-fri until 5pm so I don't have a whole lot of hours in the day to do everything. I'm just going to stop doing anything and he'll see..
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009