were you scared to give birth your first time?

I am.. not all the time, but when i really start thinking about it i am. Were you scared? How did you cope with it? and how was your first birth experience?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 10:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not really. I was so excited to see my LO that being scared didn't even happen.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i was scared to death b/c my sister told me horror stories about giving birth... i did great dealing with it idk how, but i did.. my epidural didn't work ao i had a 9lb 30z baby naturally and to be honest it wasn't that bad....
    this is my 2nd pregnancy & i think i'm a little more scared b/c since my dd was big, my ob said this one will be big too (he's already measuring 2 weeks ahead) and i do't want a c-section.... anyways GL you'll do fine ! :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think every woman gets a bit anxious about it the first time. We have no idea what to expect since all births are different. Mine was not a good experience at all. I hoped and prayed for it to be a certain way and it was the complete opposite due too the size of my baby. I'm hoping my next one goes much smoother. You'll be ok, practice breathing and visualizing your baby entering the world peacefully. good luck and congrats!
    Anonymous

• I was scared, sure. But I was also a teensy bit excited. Giving birth is a huge rite of passage for a woman, and it was my turn to do it. Now of course I'm terrified to ever go through it ever again, haha. I'm not as afraid of delivery as much as the recuperation and the first six months. Yeesh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Sweetheart, it's the unknown and yes believe me EVERYONE has those thoughts, believe me you will have them after it's all said and done too and then you will visit CM. It's part of being a mom, NOT a new mommy. We all worry, we all need support. You can do this!

I would say I was scared, you don't know how it's going to all happen, and there isn't much planning you can do with a firstborn. Hang in there, remember to breath (and I am NOT talking Lamaze!), this is just the first part of your new life. I am so excited for you! Congrats, and good luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OH and giving birth to my daughter was pretty much perfect. I was induced at 41 weeks, got an epidural, had a 13.5 hour labor, and delivered vaginally. I could do that any day. It was the four weeks of bleeding, stitches where I had a second degree tear, first few days trying to breastfeed (we eventually went to formula and never looked back), eventually becoming depressed and suicidal, and so on and so forth that really scares me.

But I'm an extreme kind of person. I'm sure you'll be just fine.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i knew i was going to have him like 5 days before so i had time to think about it and realize its not gonna be that bad, and my labor was 8 hrs and i had an epidural and i didnt feel a thing :)
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I remember being REALLY nervous. I was induced so I had a specific day and time which I think made the anxiety so much worse for me. I'm a nervous person as it is! My really serious anxiety hit a couple days before my date to be induced. The morning of I was supposed to eat and couldn't hardly do that. I tried to take comforting things from home with me and wrote down sayings to calm myself and help me to think of the big picture and birth as just being a moment in my life. When I finally got to the hospital and got settled in i relaxed ALOT. Then I felt more excited than anything. My birth experience was wonderful and I look back on it so fondly now, but I think being nervous is just part of the entire experience. Good luck to you!
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 10:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I went into it a bit over-confident b/c I'd read so much reading while I was pregnant. I thought I knew everything & so I felt mentally prepared. I just didn't think about how the pain or possible complications. When I went into labor, I was so calm...my mother & BF were freaking out & asking me why I didn't say anything when I knew I was in labor. They made me call the hospital. But I had a great birth & everything went well. I don't even remember the pain or anything. I just focused on being able to see my son.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I was terrified in the beginning of my pregnancy but near the end, I was ready for it and very excited to go through labor. I'm not really scared to go through it again for a second time though. I'm more nervous than anything because I have decided to try to hold off on pain meds this time and that I would rather walk and do other things than lay around while labor progresses. I was induced last pregnancy and I plan on not being this time.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 10:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009