need help before i go crazy... first time mom/breastfeeding

my son is 3 days old and my breasts are huge, rock hard but he has sucked on them so hard i cant feed him. they are completely raw. so i tried using my pump, its a handheld manual one and i cant get it to work. i have gone over the instructions a hundred times and i cant get anything to come out. but when i squeeze my boobs with my hands a lot comes out. so i was wondering if its okay to just squeeze milk out with my hands into a bottle instead of using a pump?

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is ok. Just make sure ur nipple is as close to the bottle as possible! U really should think about renting a pump for just a week, so u can get all that milk out and stored.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yeah I think so, I think its called hand expressing or something like that.
    Anonymous

• Yes, that's perfectly fine! Before I got double pumps, I squeezed my milk into a bottle with one, while pumping the other.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 10:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OH YEAH! Here is what I would do, I would hand express until you are comfortable, then I would put baby to breast to nurse for the mean time, until you can go to walmart or target and get nipple shields, I believe that Medela has some and I am pretty sure you can get them at Target. I would put the pump away for the moment, and just make yourself comfortable, get some Lanolin and apply liberalyyyy! That will help you heal, and baby can nurse away with that on there, you don't have to remove it. The nipple shields will protect your poor nips while they heal and allow you to still nurse. Join a breastfeeding group, and find a lactation consultant in your area, they are miracle workers! If you need anything, let me know and I can help you too! My son is still nursing at 11 months old! Good LUCK!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes it is fine, just make sure to wash your hands really good before doing it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Get into a hot shower and roll your hands down the sides of your breasts. Do this until you have softer breasts and baby can latch on. Otherwise if you need to express, you can hand express. Use a large bowl and express into the bowl. Roll your hands down the side of your breasts. Do not just "Pull" on the aereola. Make sense?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh, and your insurance may pay for an electric pump. Mine did. Call your ob for a referral to a lactation consultant.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i agree with the hot shower thing, i breastfed for a month and i had the same problem for the first week or so. i ended up gettin mastitis so i quit. good look 2 u!
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You don't need any bottles. You want your baby nursing so it takes your engorgement away. Nipple shields aren't a good idea they can make your nipples hurt worse. Hard breast shields you wear between feedings are. They put pressue on your your breasts and make the extra milk come out.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Try lanisoh lotion to soften and protect your nipples from being chapped. It also helped for me to use pads even if they weren't leaking. Unfortunately, the manual pumps sucked and didn't work for me. Take a warm shower and try to squeeze out some milk with your hands. Also, try to invest in a good electric pump. They can be pricey, but soo worth it.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2009