How old was your child when they started reading? And did you teach your child to read or wait for them to learn it in school?

momof2boys423

Asked by momof2boys423 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• End of Kindergarten beginning of 1st grade. He was a slow reader but once he really got into it, he was and still is a good reader. He was tested in 4thgrade and he read at a 9th grade reading level and had a comprehension level of 6th grade. I waited for them to teach him in school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My oldest was reading Junie B Jones (chapter books) by the end of kindergarten. She was still 5. My son started reading at the beginning of 1st grade at the age of 7 and is just now getting to chapter book level going into 2nd grade (he's almost 8 and needs a lot of help while reading, though). My 6yo doesn't know how to read yet. I'm trying to help her this summer.
    For the most part I've let them learn it at school but the kindergarten teacher really didn't focus on reading but the 1st grade teacher expects them to know it already. My son really struggled last year. I'm hoping my daughter won't have as much trouble (she's catching on way quicker then he did).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• All kids learn at their own pace. My daughter was reading when she turned four, but not completely out of diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I read to my children since birth so they picked up on it early after I taught them their alphabet, which I began at the age of 2 just casually. I did all their preschool teaching myself and they were ahead of the other children their age for kindergarten, especially in reading. They still read all the time.
    I've been reading to my granddaughter since she was born, too, and hope she picks it up like her mommy did. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My daughter is four and can read words here and there. After teaching her phoenics she has been able to pick words up and if we ask her and practice the sounds with her she can spell it out. She will 5 in jan. and going to prek in 2 weeks, but I still plan on working with her @ home. I think kids learn @ their own pace, because there are days that my daughter rather play instead of sit down and practice and we try to do something else on those days.
    adenasmommy

Answer by adenasmommy at 11:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thanks for all of the responses ladies!
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2009