I have been passing clots bigger then a quarter and one was even.....

the size of well let's see, make a fist, 1/2 of that. I swear when it fell out of my onto the pad I gasped, then it was followed by blood dripping down my inner thighs and onto the floor. This was like 3 hours ago. The bleeding has lessened but I wanted to cry from fear of not knowing what was happening to me. I looked up on several websites and a lot of it says changes in hormonal levels, I just turned 40 and have been feeling "different". I went to the Dr. 2 weeks ago because we thought it was a UTI. The clinic I go to is closed on Sundays, I have no insurance, I pay cash. Do you think this is normal for "the change"? That big ol' blood clot scared the hell out of me! Any advice? I have slight pain on either my left or right sides but never both at the same time. Is it my ovaries? Uterus?

Mamasita98

Asked by Mamasita98 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Health

• My uterus was removed but I still have my ovaries.  My surgery was performed abdominally and I won't lie to you, the day I had my surgery I was in a lot of pain.  But the next day the nurse helped me to my feet and if felt soooo good to get out of bed.  I followed my doctors recovery instructions to the letter and practically bounced into her office for my 6 week post-op check.  I honestly have no regrets about having my surgery and I sure don't miss having periods.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• That sounds scary! The only time I passed clots that big was after I had a baby and and it wouldn't stop and they almost had to give me a blood transvusion. If you start to bleed like that again and it dosn't ease up I would go to the hospital!! Some women who are going threw that is heavier bleeding. Take care of yourself!!!
    Anonymous

• call an ER nurse and just ask but it doesn't sound normal to me. A hospital can't turn you away bc you don't have money to pay. You can even go in to the business office during the week and see if you qualify for financial assistance if you need that. My dr always said if it was over a quarter size then there is a problem. If it was just gushing (not a clot) I'd think it might be a uterine fibroid but I'm not a doctor

Answer by admckenzie at 11:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I am also in the no insurance boat, so have not been to the Dr. in oh lets just say too long, but I just turned 36 and in the past 6 months my period has been "weird" too with the really big clots. Some things I read said that peri-menopause can cause changes in your period so I am assuming it is that. Sorry I cannot be a "technical help" but thought knowing you are not alone might help.
    Anonymous

• If you are soaking a big pad in an hour then go to the doctor. The clot is not normal, but if you are not continuing to gush huge amounts of blood then I think you can wait till Monday.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I have had clots that big also. It is changing hormone levels. Make sure you are eating enough iron rich foods. (If you can eat them.) If it doesn't get better and like someone else said, soaking a pad an hour, then get help.
    Also, get help if you feel abnormally fatigued, cold or show other signs of low blood pressure or anemia.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I too have read about fibroids and possible menopausal hormone imbalances. I do intend on going to our local hospital on Tuesday to inquire about maybe setting up a payment plan. I know I qualify for emergency medi-cal, I also fear hearing the worst. This is the first time I have just gasped out of fear. It sucks that this is happening to me right now, I have my sons child support hearing Monday at 8am and I just hope I don't look drained.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy because of fibroids and my symptoms were heavy bleeding and large clots. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Beeky what is it like to have a hysterectomy?
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I just want to add that fibroids are not a serious problem in themselves and the symptoms can be controlled with medication.  However in my case my symptoms were so severe and my condition deteriorated so quickly that meds weren't working for me and surgery was my last option. 

I strongly urge you to see a doctor if at all possible.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2009