Freemasonry and the Catholic Church

I am almost positive I am going to regret asking this question. What is freemasonry and does the Catholic Church support it forbid it or act indifferent.

I would prefer anyone who simply wants to put down the Catholic church just ignore me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Historically, one of Masonry's primary objectives has been the destruction of the Catholic Church; this is especially true of Freemasonry as it has existed in certain European countries. In the United States, Freemasonry is often little more than a social club, but it still espouses a naturalistic religion that contradicts orthodox Christianity.

Catholics are not allowed to join Freemasonry.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I did not know that eringobrough. OP this is a good question, it will be interesting to see the responses.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• What eringobrough said is true (as always) and I'd like to add that in the diocese that I lived in while growing up this ended up as a big deal for quite some time because the bishop had listed groups, etc that Catholics were not allowed to join. It was really more of a reminder than anything but many people belonged to one or several of such groups... including freemasons. I just put that out there because I remember that some people got really upset over it all. But they should have known the Chruch's stance on such groups and were trying to be cafeteria Catholics instead of following what they should. They simply did not know the group's history.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009