bath time horror!!!!!

i gave my two week old son a bath for the first time tonight since his embillel cord stump fell off and it was awefull!!! the poor little guy cryed so hard he forgot to breath or somthing because he turned blue in the face! i pulled him out of there so fast i dont even think i got all the soap off of him! have any tips to help make bath time less stress full for the two of us

mrsmurders

Asked by mrsmurders at 11:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor guy! Poor MOMMY! That wasn't any fun! So sorry to hear that he didn't like that so much! I would stick to sponge baths for a while, it's not like he is going to get gross dirty anytime soon, and just slowly introduce him back into the tub. Better yet, get in the big tub WITH him and just hold him against your chest or nurse him in the warm water, if you nurse. Might get him to settle down a bit faster. This will pass, and before you know it he will be splashing away!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Fill up a pan, or bucket of water and let him splash his hands in it. Also, dip your son's feet in the pool. If that doesn't work, give him a binky, and bath him as fast as possible. :]
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 11:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Try not to submerge him in the water. Try putting him in the baby bathtub and just using a wet sponge or washcloth on him. That way he still gets clean, but is not completely soaked.
    doink67

Answer by doink67 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• same thing happened to me with my first sons first bath- come to find out the water was too cool- alot of new mommies make the mistake of making the water too cool thinking thats the right temp so maybe try a warmer temp of water? and if that doesnt work i would say stick to washing him up with a wash cloth and save the actual bath for later when water becomes more fun for him like 3 to 4 months
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My son didn't like bathing either. You don't have to bathe him but every couple days. Just use a washcloth and get under the armpits when you change clothes, the neck, and of course you're cleaning his bottom everytime he gets a new diaper...He'll be fine and hopefully will learn to love the bath once he hits around 6 months.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my son was the same way, but once he hit 4 months that changed, and now at 8 months he loves water and loves to be in pools he freaks when we take him out now.
    faithfulmomof1

Answer by faithfulmomof1 at 3:41 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• At 2 weeks old he may not be ready for such a big tub. Try to use a baby tub for at least a month or until he outgrows it before going back to the big tub.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my problem with my little guy was i had to adjust the water temperature - he was so warm, i thought a cool bath would help, WRONG!! he was miserable. now we do the nice warm baths with our baby tub and it's gone much better.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2009