What can I do to help my 4 year old deal with a new baby?

My 4 year old son is now throwing tantrums, not sleeping and not listening to me. Iam due anyday and Iam fed up! PLEASE HELP!

twocrazyboyz

Asked by twocrazyboyz at 11:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• idk GL though.
    my dd is coping very well for a 3 y/o and i'm due in a few weeks
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• At your point it's really hard for you to do any thing. Try a few presents for him to find when you leave him with whoever to open when you leave and when he's told he's a big brother. Let who ever is sitting for him take him out even to a pharmacy for a big brother to baby gift chosen especially by big brother.

If he's freaking out now before you leave then he's going to do it when you gone. Hope you have someone who can give you a break when you come home with new baby.
    Anonymous

• my son was fine while i was pregnant and he loves his brother and is not jellous at all and he never was...he was 3 when his brother was born....he is very protective of him...i guess i just got lucky.....so im no help
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Include him in EVERYTHING. Still try to keep him to a routine and set boundaries. Talk to him. Let him pick out a special toy or blanket for the baby and maybe a special toy or color book that he gets when he visits you in the hospital after. Praise him and tell him what a good big brother he is when he does well. Talk to him about all of the fun things there are to look foward to. How he'll always have a friend to play with and that'll want to be like him and learn from him.

Point out special things that big kids get to do that babies can't. Like eating ice cream LOL. I also let my daughter know that no matter what she'll always be mommy's baby. (She says she's a big girl not a baby) But we've established that she's my BIG baby and her sister's the little baby.

All of that combined has really worked for us. We were worried because we really spoiled our daughter for 4 years, but she's excited now.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• good ideas for presents for son and new baby from big brohter too. When my first dd was born my son was 3 1/2 yo. When I came home from the hospital my mother helped me for aweek. My rule was that if I was resting or sleeping that my son if he wanted me be allowed to come to me. Gammy didn't like that and didn't want son coming to me. I heard it though and called out for him and just gently reminded her that ds was to included.

And he went to the hospital with us when that daughter was born and waited through my repeat section with relatives watching him. That helped too. I delivered over an hour from home driving through a snowstorm to get to the hospital with a caravan of relatives in tow. It was worth it. He bonded great with his little sister. When my second daughter was born, the two older went agn to the hospitalwaited with relatives. That was good too.Rent a hotel room if your hospital is awy we did that w/3rd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my son is very stubborn and apparently very selfish! I have tried the present thing his grandma took him to pick out stuff for baby. It seemed to backfire. the more attention he gets the more he wants even if its negitive. he hasent said anything about the baby so iam assuming thats what it is but i could be wrong. I just dont know why he is giving me such a hard time. He doesnt do this with his father but my husband is a chef and works alot! thanks for all your suggestions and comments. i feel a little better!
    twocrazyboyz

Answer by twocrazyboyz at 12:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2009