How do you file an emergency protective order?

I think I need to file an emergency protective order against my husband, but I'm not sure how to do this, and I'm not sure how it works. I've been dealing with abusive behavior from him even though we've been separated. We have a child together, but I'm unsure of what to do. I'veI don't know how any of this works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Or a temporary protective order?
    Anonymous

• go to urcourt house they can do it there
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It's the weekend. Go somewhere safe where your husband can't find you and your child. Don't trust other people.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• find a local womens shelter aan take ur kids there they will help u
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• call the police and file a report. Then go to the court and tell the clerk you want to file one. You can go to a domestic violence shelter and they can help but you don't really need them. You can do it yourself.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If you are in immediate danger, you need to contact the police and get yourself to a safe place. If you are safe, then on Monday, you can go to your local county court house and ask to file a temporary restratining order against him. Understand it's "temporary." You will need to attend a hearing to determine if the restraining order should be permanent or not. I would contact a local shelter for women at least for their support and resources. You may not need them for shelter, specifically, but they can definitely provide you with a wealth of information and encouragement.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 12:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Go to the court house...ask at the info desk, they will send you to the right office. There you will have to fill out a paper and write a paragraph about the latest incident of abuse. It goes to a judge to get signed then it has to be served to your x...then in about 2-4 weeks you'll have a court date to get one that will last longer.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• WAiT iF Y0U NEED A EMERGENCY PR0TECTiVE 0RDER Y0U HAVE T0 D0 T0 Y0UR P0LICE DEPARTMENT. iF Y0U NEED A EMERGENCY RESTRAiNiNG 0RDER Y0U NEED T0 G0 T0 THE C0URTH0USE. TW0 DiFFERENT F0RMS AND EVERYTHiNG. MAKE SURE Y0U TAKE ALL THE EViDENCE Y0U HAVE iF Y0UR G0iNG T0 THE C0URTH0USE. BUT A EMERGENCY PR0TECTiVE 0RDER CAN 0NLY BE D0NE THR0UGH THE POLiCE DEPARTMENT. BUT A JUDGE CAN GRANT A TEMPORARY RESTRAiNiNG 0RDER AND iT LASTS AB0UT 30 DAYS THEN Y0U CAN G0 F0R A PERMANENT 0NE F0R ANYWHERE FR0M LiKE 1 T0 i BELiEVE 5 YEARS.
    Mommy-N-07-N-09

Answer by Mommy-N-07-N-09 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2009