Castor Oil?

I've seen a lot of moms on here talking about Castor Oil inductions. Here is one article I found about how to do it. http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/castor.html

Anyways, do you think it's safe? Has anyone on here actually tried it?

tcarter1981

Asked by tcarter1981 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am all for inductions (natural & medical) however I would NEVER do castor oil. I didnt click on your link but here is my info...

Castor oil can pass thru the placenta and can cause the baby to get diahrrea also. Your baby can injest the amniotic fluid during delivery and if it had a BM while still in the womb, it can ingest mechonium, which can give your baby pnemonia.

Its not a risk that I would be willing to take! Insert evening primrose oils into your who-ha, thats the natural induction that I believe in
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i tried it BAAD idea all i gave birth to was a toilet baby..
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 11:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• lol same here i craped for hours was crazy!! never put me in labor at all!! sorry old wives tales dont work!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My MIL did it and my SO pooped so they did an emergency C because "baby was in distress". Everytime I talked to her and told her how uncomfortable I was, she always told me that story! But because of it, she calls my SO her little sh*thead! LMAO
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I was reading a bunch of comments and experiences on this site too. IDK, I'm definately not very comfortable with the thought of doing it, but you know how it is toward the end you get thinking pretty hard about it LOL

http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/castor_oil_to_induce_labor
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I tried it ...it didn't make me go into labor...but gave me severe cramps and diahrea all night and into the next day!!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I just read that the Castor bean is toxic... hmm, would I want to ingest toxins on a normal day? Why would I want to when I am pregnant?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• don't do it. Just be patient your baby will come, I promise!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I am a mom of 5 and I had one home birth. Believe me the best birth that I had was the one when
    I simply waited until the baby was ready. The rest were not so great. I don't believe in any inductions unless absolutely necessary. And then they should be something other than castor oil. I took a homeopathic remedy called calophylum. Spelling may be wrong, but that one was better than castor oil.
    paidathome

Answer by paidathome at 11:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2009