Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband was beaten all the time when he was growing up. His step dad has choked him. This was about 15

years ago. my husbands mom never did anything to step dad. but can my husband press charges against his step dad? I feel it would make my husband feel better about the whole thing since he was younger and couldnt do anything to defend himself.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (13)
  • Doubt it...been too long

    Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 12:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Unfortunately I don't think so. There is a statute of limitations on pressing charges but I would contact a lawyer for a consultation, because he was underage at the time there might be some loophole in the law. So sorry to hear this happened to him.

    Answer by psugal at 12:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Probably not, the statue of limitations may be expired. You would have to talk to an attorney to be certain. It may also vary from state to state.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • I'm sure the statute of limitations for criminal action is up but he may be able to file a civil suit. In some states mothers can be arrested for not getting kids out of that type of environment. Sad he couldn't have had her arrested for it back then along with the step dad. Tell him to contact a civil lawyer and see what he can do, if anything. I'm so sorry they treated him like that.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • take a look at this and see if it can be applied to his case.

    Answer by Carpy at 12:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • No, I dont think the system would believe it was relevant, but i understand how that would help give him some closure..
    thats terrible that his mother never did anything about it, but thats the case a lot of the time..
    just keep doin what ur doin and give him an ear to listen to &let him know that hopefully he's grown from such a terrible experience and somethin like that shouldnt ever happen again.


    Answer by Samanthao2006 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • How about a civil suit? He might also talk to a domestic violence org to see what state policies and statutes are in place.

    Does he plan to include MOTY in this suit?

    Answer by LiliM at 12:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • he doesnt want his mom to be in trouble for it. The whole thing puzzles me because if I remarried and a man I was with was hurting my children I would leave the man and press charges.

    Answer by nessy1980 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • I think he at the least has a civil suit. As for his Mother, if she is still with him thats her choice.

    Answer by pnwmom at 12:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • OP, I agree that I, as a mom, would not tolerate this, but there are women who do not feel as we do. I think he needs to talk to CPS, or a DV group, and see not only what he can do, but what will happen to his mom.

    And an atty, to see what rights he has in regards to a civil suit. One thing that will be a big roadblock, however, is his ability to prove what happened. DId his school, counselor, minister, someone make a report? Talk to his mom? Because otherwise, you get into the he said, she said thing, and that does not get your far legally.

    Answer by LiliM at 12:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.