why do my hands get numb?

if i lay on one side too long my hands get numb... this happened while i was pregnant but it hasnt happened since i gave birth and my son is now 15 months, and i'm on my period right now so i know i'm not pregnant... what else could it be?

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 12:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Health

• either you are just cutting off the circulation...or could be carpal tunnel.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• cutting off circulation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• well yes i get that, but why did it not happen before i got pregnant, and then didnt happen after i gave birth and come back now? its a conundrum ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• yeah i must just be getting fat so its cutting off the circulation... either that or power of suggestion, since now i cant get my wedding ring off for the life of me and i think my finger is about to fall off (its not really, but i'm scared. and i know i need to lose weight but i cant... no matter how much i diet i cant lose weight!) after i realized my wedding ring wont come off is when my hands suddenly started getting numb!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I had it lots more after pregnancies. The pregnancy causes swelling and fluid retention which seems to compress the nerves. It seems like over time mine has gotten much better, but I still have some. Of course, I've also gained weight over the years and 8 pregnancies, so that has to contribute.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 2:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Its sound like carpal tunnel, I was diagnosed with it back in 2003, and my hand become numb a lot.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009