At what age do boys start going through puberty?

I ama single parent and im not really sure what or when to talk to my son about these changes

commamomma

Asked by commamomma at 12:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Between 9 and 14. I am a single parent of a 10 year old boy and understand your dilemma. I bought him 2 books from amazon. Search "boys and their bodies" and an whole list of great books will pop up.

Also, here are two websites: http://kidshealth.org/kid/grow/boy/boys_puberty.html

(this was a great site) http://www.4parents.gov/sexdevt/boysmen/index.html
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 1:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 11 and I know girls are different than guys. Observe your son, without being nosey. When you go to the store does he check out the girls or is he checking out the latest action figure? Is he still really attached to his parents or looking for space? The body and the mind work seperately during these years. There are boys who dont reach puberty until 15 or 16 but have girlfriends when they are 12 and need the sex-talk before they have pubs. Im serious. Or visa versa. I firmly believe that being open about sex is the best approach. Books are good, but dont use them as an escape to not talk. Talk, as if youre talking about the weather, not nervous, matter- -of-fact about sex. Hey its something we crave because its something we need. And they need to know that they will survive and not regret it if they wait until they really know and really like someone. If they get in a hurry they get into trouble. STDs, babies.
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 1:49 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My son began at age 11, we had talked around age 7 or 8 about it though. I keep it open about sex with the kids. He will ask me anything at this point.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Anywhere from 9 up. You just need to be open, honest and don't freak out. He will be learning a lot in the coming years during health class. I am also a single mom of a 13 yr old going through puberty and I am forever grateful to the school nurse for teaching sex ed and all that goes with puberty and such. There are some very good books available for this subject. I also have a man that helps with my son, my exbf (not sperm donor) takes my son every other weekend and does guy things with him. They talk, hang out, etc. It does help having a male role model for your son to turn to because there are things that he is just not going to want to talk to you about. If there is a male relative or friend that would be willing to help, take them up on the offer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2009