How do you get a four year old to stop peeing at night in his diaper?

thekinseyfam

Asked by thekinseyfam at 12:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is almost 5 and still sometimes wets his pull-ups. I don't embarass him about it and don't give him too much to drink before bed. My husband and I wet the bed for years so I don't think my son can help it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• some kids have this problem, just give him time.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i agree with the time thing, i got lucky with my dd & she stopped b4 she was 3 GL hang in there :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I'm thinking having him wear a diaper is the problem. He has gone how many years thinking that peeing and pooping in a diaper is ok. Then you tell him that its not and perhaps he is confused. I would try not putting him in a diaper anymore. Start putting him in underwear and let him know that you do not Pee in underwear, Say you go pee in the toilet. Yes, you will have accidents, but I think this would be the best way to teach him not to pee on himself and he would be fully potty trained.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I agree with PP . Take the pull up and diaper off the kiddos. If and when they wet in the middle of the night, it will wake them as oppossed to sleeping through it, like with the diaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Stop ALL drinks about an hour to 2 hours before bed time. Get some of those plastic sheets so there is an easy clean up if there is an accident and put big boy pants on him. Stop the pull ups and diapers. He will get the hang of things.
    mommyoftwins114

Answer by mommyoftwins114 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I tried taking pullups off my 4.5 yr old, and for a while it worked, and then all a sudden started wetting the bed EVERY night now. I mean we have to wash the sheets and blankets EVERYDAY and I try to clean the matress, but it is almost to the point of throwing it away. and he doesn't wake up when he pees the bed, sleeps right through it, and then in the morning, if you ask if he is wet, says no, when you can tell he is soaking. we have had to go back to pull ups at night only.
    TwinkleToes25

Answer by TwinkleToes25 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My niece is 3 and no longer having to wear pulllups to bed, but when she did, I tried not giving her too much to drink before bedtime, if you do try a little amount of water.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2009