Need Advice on a Sensitive Matter

My DH was recently very sick (bronchitis) and the doctor prescribed him a hydrocodone cough syrup. It has some other things in it as well, including something that dilated his pupils. A year ago, we had offered a girl a room in our house with her 3 year old daughter. I cleaned out my fridge two days ago, and yesterday she was puking like crazy, and I felt so bad for her, with her having to watch her daughter all day and all! Well when DH got home he looked in the fridge for food, and was surprised to find hidden in the back of the fridge his cough syrup- almost gone! He only took one dose bc of how it made him feel. I'm 38 weeks pg so I couldn't drink it. There was no one else who came over, so we knew it had to be her, and that's the reason she was so sick yesterday. I was appalled to realize she had stolen it out of his desk, and drank it with her baby in the bedroom wth her! We asked her but she says she has no idea (CONT)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• i would tell her that I know that she did it and if she wants to stay then she needs to try and make things right. If not call CPS before you kick her out. If she is the only possible explanation and she is lying she might have a prescription addiction which will affect her child. If she is willing to admit and apologize, explain that the lying isnt acceptable. You might be upset if she does something stupid, bt when she lies she breaches your trust which just makes it worse. And she needs to make amends to your brother. If she cant afford to pay then she can find some other way to compensate for him.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:23 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• (OP Here) She says she doesn't know, but it could have only been her, and we know she's lying. Kicking her out is NOT an option, bc of her baby. DH is pissed and won't even speak to her now, and I have no idea what to do or say. If she would even just apologize it and admit she was wrong it would be ok again. What to say to get her to realize what harm she did and how it affected everyone? (Also, the meds were not cheap- almost $30 with insurance!) I'm at my wit's end for a way to handle this- so far everyone in the house is just ignoring her...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I would flat out tell her, I know you did this, and you are going to pay for it. 30 dollars.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• What a yucky situation. I was in a very similiar situation. We lived with my Aunt & Uncle who had tons of precription pain pills. They accused my 9 year old and I of stealing them. We didn't. They set up a camera and it turned out to be their son (aka my cousin) stealing their pills. Do you know if she has an addiction of any kind?? Did she think it was just over the counter meds? Has she ever done anything like this before? I can't imagine her stealing it and then putting it in the refrigerator to be found (I would have kept it hidden or something or put it back). Is it at all possible someone else might have done it? I'm asking because I personally need concrete evidence not just circumstantial evidence. I wish I could give you better advice but it doesn't sound like this will blow over. I would start helping her look for another place to live.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 2:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• OP Here: I think I may have at some point walked in on her trying to put it back and just not realized it (our desks are side by side in the living room and I sit at mine a lot since I'm on partial bedrest). I know she has back pains and is prescribed a LOT of percocets for that, so maybe she has gotten addicted to them? She knew what it was bc when he brought it home we jokingly said it was a step up from "Robo-tripping" a phrase we'd heard a week earlier on some tv show. Its not at all possible that anyone else could have done it, unless we were robbed and they were nice enough to only take that :) I really didn't wanna believe it, and thought of every possible explanation, but couldn't come up with one. She was so sick the day before throwing up, that I feel she has been punished enough, but I don't know how to go about making her see that an apology is in order. I feel like she's my teenage daughter!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Who is this girl and where did she come from in the first place. She hasn't been in your house that long and is taking liberties like that and lying about it. You will probably never feel comfortable with her there ever now. Next she might start to use her child as excuses for her behavior. If you don't really don't know her that well, it might be time to just ask her to make other living arrangments. This might seem harsh to you but someone who is that comfortable in home and doesn't see the harm in what they have done, if they have done this won't stop there.
    peacockmom

Answer by peacockmom at 5:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Sounds like your roommate has a drug problem. I have dealt with a few of them...and when push comes to shove you can't trust them.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• tell her that if she wants to continue living there that you need to her to fess up!! that should scare her into admitting it at least...if not, try having her give you proof that she didnt do it by getting a home drug test...it should pick up the hydrocodone and its not that expensive...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2009