What is the age requirement for a booster seat?

Some articles say 30lbs and others say 40lbs. On the booster it says 30lbs. I am so confused

zomommy

Asked by zomommy at 1:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's not really an age minimum so much of a maturity minimum. Typically most children are not mature enough until at least 4 to sit properly in a booster.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Technically a kid can be in a booster at 30 lbs, but it is suggested that you wait until 4 years and 40 lbs. For my daughter, (3.5 and only 27 lbs) I will be buying her an extended harness, so that she can be in a 5 point harness until 65 lbs.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• most laws require that they are at the bare minimum 4 years and 40 pounds. this is just the minimum though, they don't have to go in a booster until they are ready.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• The minimum is 4 yrs and 40lbs for MOST states. But for the safety of your child it is best to keep them in a 5-pt harness carseat for as long as possible. Some carseats on the market go up to 80lbs. My DS is in a carseat where he will rear face until he is 40lbs..unless he suddenly gets really tall and can not longer sit it in by height. He will be able to forward face in it to 65lbs at which time we will move him to a booster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• your child will be rear facing until 40 pounds? my 3.5 year old is only 30lbs i can't imagine him still sitting backwards... i mean he's incredibly short for his age, 4 inches under the average, and he's still too long to sit rear facing... aren't you suppose to turn kids around at 20lbs?
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2009