What do you think about Obama's proposals for elementary education?

Is it basically more of the same (NCLB with funding) or will we see a difference?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• hmm. haven't heard about it. Do you have a link to this information?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Here's one...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/13/AR2009021303346.html
    Jonsmommy408

Answer by Jonsmommy408 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Thanks jonsmommy.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• What did Einstien say the definition of insanity was? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?
    I don't think throwing more money on a failing system is the answer, haven't we tried that before?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Homeschooling and private schools are the answer. Unless we can ever get vouchers.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 2:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think it's a good idea, a lot of people can't afford private school and homeschooling isn't for everyone.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• If Federal Govt is going to be involved in childrens education, then I think a Voucher Program is needed. Urban schools are suffering the most. Students who show potential DESERVE the opportunity for the best education they can get. We have learned over the last 25 years, throwing money at schools DOES not solve anything. In some cases the Teachers Union is a lobbyist for themselves and NOT the kids.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• As with ALL education programs--public or private, parents SHOULD be supplementing, reinforcing, and broadening their childrens' education at home with their own knowledge of the subject, checking out related books from the library, taking family "field trips" to museums and historic landmarks to "illustrate" what their children learn in school, talking to other family members who may have experienced certain things firsthand in their lifetimes, watching documentaries TOGETHER, etc.

Too many parents trust the school to teach their children everything they need to know, when it should be a COLLABORATIVE effort.

My children attend public school (K & 2nd grade in the fall), but my husband and I ALSO "homeschool" them when doing homework and supplementing their education as mentioned above.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I completely agree, LoriKeet. Parents must be actively involved in their children's education.

While I am a fan of NCLB in theory, the implementation of NCLB left much to be desired. I'm not a fan of the actual NCLB and how it has affected education. I have not read what BHO is proposing (though I will), but having seen the state of public education here in Illinois, I'm not optimistic about what he's proposing.

The federal government needs to get out of education and return that power to the states, where it belongs.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My son does NOT go to public school. They are nothing but left wing indoctrination centers. Ask you kids about global warming. Some kids (more so in Europe than here at this point) are terrified. They even have cases in Europe of kids having to have intense therapy from trauma due to the fear that is instilled in them. But that is what they want. Control through fear.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009