What's the BEST advice you've ever gotten as a Mom?

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 1:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That I COULD breastfeed. My mom really discouraged it, but my MIL was a big supporter...Thanks Didi!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• From my Grandma: "You're the Mom. You know your child. Everyone else should just shut up, back off and let you do your thing. If they don't, ignore them. If you have to, get rude. Rudeness will make just about everyone leave you alone. When it comes your children and your raising of them, it's no one's business but yours."
    That's saved me a lot of headaches. (And the rudeness thing really works, lol.)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• That it's okay to walk away for a couple minutes to catch a breathe and relax. Especially when the baby has been crying for hours. You need that break to take a breather and cry to let out the frustration. It helps.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• don't ever think that something you do is just a little thing cuz your child could grow up and remember it as a big thing (except it was told to me in wiser words)
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 1:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• listen to advice, but you don't have to actually do it! You are mom and know what works.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• to sleep. if it's your first child, sleep for the entire pregnancy. it will be a long, long, long time before you get a decent night's sleep again.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• The best advice I got as a Mom wasn't something someone told me. It was something I remembered growing up. I don't remember my mom telling me that she loved me very often. When I got pregnant with my daughter, I made a promise to her that I would tell her everyday that I loved her. Five years later, there hasn't been a day that's gone by that I haven't told her that I loved her.
    MOM2JEM

Answer by MOM2JEM at 5:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Never love anyone in a relationship more than you love yourself and nothing is true unless you say that it's true, no matter what. Also, keep your best business to yourself. She was always right in these areas.
    peacockmom

Answer by peacockmom at 6:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• When your children act up and do something wrong just remember that you did that, too, as a child and think back to how you wish you had been treated in those moments when you were being punished.

I always try to put myself in my children's place when they do something, because I did some bad and off-the-wall things, too, that I'm sure drove my parents crazy. In fact, I felt my step-father's belt on my backside more often than not and I didn't want to raise my girls that way, so this was excellent advice for me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• A MOTHER KNOWS BEST .
    hotty9183

Answer by hotty9183 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2009