Has anyone heard about California state workers getting IOU's as pay?

Is it actually going to happen? How will people live on an IOU? will there be rules backing it up? like bills they need to pay can be put off until they get their hard earned Money... Or a promise they wont lose their home and car, etc.. due to not getting a paycheck?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• do you have a link? i live in cali & i heard they were going to give out IOU's for the tax returns, but not for actual income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• That is BS. I would be pissed if I was told that!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have not recieved my income tax return from Cali will probably never see it. They did the same thing in 05. Filed that return 25 times they keep losing it. The state owes us about 25k based on the interest they would have charged us if we had not paid them. We won't see a penny from that moronic state. So glad we moved. The people, congress and Governor were all morons.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No, not true and won't happen. A budget WAS passed on Friday and will be signed by the governor, so IOUs will be gone anyway..but the state was not allowed to use IOUs for payroll.

What WILL happen? Furloughs for state workers. It will be the equivalent of a 20% pay cut for some.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Tax refunds were being handled as IOUs. With a budget in place, they will be paid now. Anon :12, dunno what's going wrong with you but I've never had a problem getting my refund from the state when I was owed one. Not once.

Perhaps it's time for a long talk with your accountant? Or perhaps time to hire one? We have used an accountant for the past decade and it sure helps.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• The better question would be. Why and how did California get in this position?

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No sorry I dont have a link I was told today by a fellow co-worker thats what was going to happen and I was wondering if anyone had any insight to that. yeah the Furloughs are a bitch. Ive lost my house over those damn days. Arnold wants 5 by christmas. we're already up to 3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• yeah what gdiamante said, my SIL's mom works for caltrans and she just got a furlough, which IS about a 20% paycut (at least to her paycheck)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:17 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my husband works for caltrans and is up to 3 furlough days a month... we had to move in with his parents because ofit.. and we just had a baby..
    jennifertilley

Answer by jennifertilley at 12:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009