• In the Spotlight:

Is it normal or creepy to occasionally have a holier than though Mommy thought?

IE my kids don't get HFCS
Our carseats are 5 point harnesses til 80 pounds, we made our own baby food purees. things like that. It is expected to have moments of feeling better or superior than say all the Moms who flip the carseat to forward before the 1st birthday or have a kid in diapers with a mouth full of dental work or the 8 year old in a saggy pullup

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's normal. I think you'd be abnormal not to think at least ONCE "Hey, i'm better than so-and-so". The real test comes when you choose to be respectful, and not act on those moments and keep it as just a thought to yourself.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• wait what? i dont get the dental work and diaper analogy?

and yes an 8 year old in a saggy pull up is a bit odd, but really... i knew this girl who wet the bed until she was 13 because of her parents divorce, not because of how her parents raised her... i sucked my thumb until i was 13 because i am oral retentive

i mean i do understand what you're saying and from time to time it is normal, but in certain cases it's not the result of bad parenting, you know? i'm not bashing you, you do have a valid point, i'm just playing devil's advocate :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think it is normal to have thoughts like that... I did forward face me dd at 11 months and I didn't do food purees but I taught her how to chew at 8 months and she was eating normal table foods by 11 mos. Walking at 10 mos and such.... while I didn't do the "perfect" mother things, I feel I've done a lot of other things.
    You need to feel that way at times to know you are doing good for you children! Yes, it is also good to question... but if you end up questioning too much you get depressed and it's not good for anyone.....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My 8 year old wears a pullup to bed. Her father was injured in Iraq and the stress has been very difficult for her. I wet the bed until I was 13. My father had a brain tumor when I was 11 and my mother suffered a stroke a few months later. Life was a little hectic for me.My 8 year old was born overseas where the water is not flouridated and has required dental work. Even her dentist said that he sees her condition a lot in children born overseas.

Guess what?!?! You are not better than any of us. We all try to do what is best for our children..And newsflash, holier than thou--your kids WILL eventually eat HFCS..The shame of it all.

Ahhh to be a fly on the wall when you are struggling to get an 80 lb 10 year old in a 5 point harness.

Be realistic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I was a working mom (no choice in the matter). If I got only a hint of bend nose from another mother, I would take it personally.

But all's well that ends well. My daughter was selected to shadow a cardiologist this summer (free of charge).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Well I'm a MawMaw now, so when I was raising my kids,we didn't realize some of these new things you all do now. Not saying they aren't right, when I read some of them, I'm like duh why didn't I know that! But just because I didn't do alot of these things doesn't mean I wasn't a good mommy. I'm the first to admit I was not perfect, but I did the best I could with the info available. So not all moms who don't follow every single rule is a bad mom. BUT...even back in my mommy days we had the babies in saggy diapers, toddlers with rotten teeth, toddlers wandering alone down through the neighborhood. Alot of it was and is common sense....but alot of it is choice.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It is normal. I really do believe some moms are better than others. Whether it be in specific areas or all around. It'd only be a negative if you let it get to your head and be mean about it. As for the "be realistic" comment, nothing OP mentioned is unrealistic. I do that. Other moms do it. So it's far from unrealistic.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:19 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• That's funny, cuz I have never done. I don't care enough about what other moms are doing to give a shit. And they ones who do pay enough attention, do think they are better then other moms on purpose.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Well, I have seen some very good moms that seem to take care of ALL their child's needs and protect them completely. I was never that type of mother. But I am not ashamed, because those same mother's who seemed to be so good, now have spoiled brats who do not have respect. I on the other hand have some awesome kids. Do not judge a mother on what she does or doesn't do. You never know how your kids are going to turn out, and in reality that matters alot more.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• When you know better, you do better (ideally).

It is only in observing those that know better, but do not do better......that I feel disappointment. Never superiority, just regret for the children.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:19 AM on Jul. 26, 2009