Baba at bed time?

Ok so my 19 month old drinks one baba at bed time 8 oz of milk.Its a routine really he baths at 7 then at 730 hes usually dressed for bed then he gets his blanky goes to the fridge and kinda points I get it for him he carries it to the couch and for 20 mins he drinks it and cuddles with me. I dont see the need to take it my husband says its not ok for him to have it everytime I work sat nights he asks if he can put an end to it. I am 8 months pregnant I am souly BF our soon to be born so I just dont see the need to strip him of this comfort.I love this time I have with him every night to, He never walks around with it has never been put in bed with it he never even held his bottel till he was over one I didnt want him dragging it over our carpet so chose to simply not make carrying it around an option.Should I take it away? And if so why? Its only one a day.It sounds like like Im devastated I know! Shoot me!!

ALDmama

Asked by ALDmama at 3:19 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it rings true with children's natural timetable- if society would allow it. In many cultures, a child nurses until ready to give up on his own- around 2 or 3 years old. I nursed my now 11 yr old until he was almost 3. I worked and nursed when I was at home. By then he was drinking from cups, but I never pressured him either way. He did have a sippy at night before bed most of the time, but it ended sometime when he was 3. It seems one day he just lost interest in nursing. No struggles. My sister took her daughter's bottle around 9 months- worried about what my aunt(who has no kids,but lots of advice and criticism) would think,but let her keep the pacifier. Now at 18 months, with a newborn brother, she wants the bottle back.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:14 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• What if you changed to a sippy cup but still held him and such? It is really your decision!!! I know they say bottles can mess up their teeth, but otherwise i have no idea why that would be so wrong!!! Maybe if you get one of those 9 oz playtex insulated cup (just because my dd uses it and can drink her entire cup within 5 minutes) and give that to him? or start with a softer spout and work up???? It is about what you feel for your child! I am sure you can keep that special time around, but maybe try a sippy???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• what is a "Baba"? LMAO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• thats what he calls it and its 115am here lol leave me alone you meany!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 4:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Most people say it's not good to have multiple MAJOR changes going on at the same time at home... so with the new baby on the way, I do kind of agree with you... stripping your child of his comfort right before the baby comes could be very difficult on him. Maybe after he adjusts, you could talk to him about being a big boy, and using a big boy cup (as already mentioned). I think that is an excellent recommendation, but again, it's up to you. I don't agree with kids being on bottles until their like 3, lol, but my gosh, if you treasure the time with him, I'm sure he treasures the time with you too... so don't completely end the wonderful situation you have.
    mamaD2008

Answer by mamaD2008 at 8:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think it's time to get rid of it or you will be stuck with a preschooler that still needs his baba. My neice does basically the same thing as part of her bed time routine... and while they have changed her to a sippy cup... she still needs her "baba" of milk every night before bed like a baby. She is 3 years old! But like your son... she had a new baby coming around the same time, they are 21 months apart. And they didn't want to take it away... well she still needs it. It's time to start a better bed time routine. Try snuggles and cuddles in his bed room followed by a bed time story instead.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2009