sleeping in the bed

is it really that hard to break a child from sleeping in the bed with you? This is my first son and he does. I do know he shouldnt for saftey reasons.

He does doe....he can sleep alone without me so what is the big hub-ub an how would I train him to sleep in his bed if it became a problem?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I shared my bed with my baby 100% of the time (except naps) until she was 6 months. At that point i'd put her to bed in her own crib, and when she woke up at night, i'd just bring her into bed with me. It was also out of convenience since we nurse, and I could just lift my shirt, and drift back off to sleep. Now she's a year, and prefers to be in her bed. She also weaned herself off her binky at 6 months...so maybe I just got lucky??? lol. Irrelevant...I know.

I also co-slept with my middle daughter, and 4 years later she's happily sleeping in her own bed (and has been since she was 1).

I personally think the trick is to at least introduce the baby to the crib and gradually start making the transition. I think most parents face the strongest opposition when they try to force it all at once. Also, as long as you're not intoxicated, safety isn't a problem for *most*.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• oh ok. yeah I nurse to and it is a millions times easier to pop a booby in the mouth and catch some more winks :) I do try to lay my son in the crib now.

So I figure I will just keep doing as I am and keep trying to lay him in there.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 5:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I never had a problem switching the kids over. But I did put them in the crib/cradle for naps or when they first went to bed. Later in the night I would get them and nurse. My oldest (3) still comes to bed with us when he is really sick. He sleeps so much better with us!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2009