alcohol and breastmilk

I had 3 beers from 9pm through 10:45 pm. I pumped my milk and dumped at 10:30 pm.
I had another beer at 12 am. Did not pump and dump afterwards. My daughter is almost 4 weeks and slept until 7am this morning. Should I discard the milk if i haven't pumped since 10:30 last night?

ginelle1023

Asked by ginelle1023 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are fine to nurse this morning, as long as you are not feeling drunk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• And for future reference, pumping and dumping is not needed. Only time will remove the alcohol. 1-2 drinks is usually fine, and any more then that, you should wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Pumping and dumping is a waste of time, energy and milk, and should only be done to relieve engorgement, or keep up supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Krysta is completely correct don't waste good milk by pumping and dumping unless you feel so engorged that you must. The alcohol leaves your milk similar to the way it leaves your blood. You wouldn't sober up by pumping and dumping blood now would you? Just for a warning too drinking can lower your milk supply. I didn't believe it when I heard it at first however the first time I drank post partum it took me a week to build my milk supply back up to where it was. Now I'm not telling you not to drink I'm just saying that I make it a rare occassion these days so my supply will keep up with my hungry 6 month old.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i totally agree with the above. no need to waste.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009