Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What actions can someone take to obtain custody of a younger sibling?

I was physically abused as a teen and it seems like this might happen to my younger sibling too... I feel I am in a better position to parent than the parents but don't know if there is any thing I could possibly do. Anyone familiar with this kind of situation?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (11)
  • Yes take it to court. You will need to prove them unfit. Take the sibling to CPS.

    Answer by Carpy at 10:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • we are stationed 7 hours away. would I call her local cps? would this work even if we didn't have proof? I also thought I might could use jag services to help? read that nc requires you prove both parents unfit. would the mom staying through abuse make her unfit?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Was your abuse documented with CPS?

    The only thing you can do is get a lawyer  and see if you can take them away from your Mom and Dad. If there is no proof to back you up, it probably will not work.


    Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • You probably will have to get a civilian Lawyer.


    Answer by louise2 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Yes, that would make her unfit as well.

    Answer by Carpy at 10:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • looks like minor can emancipate at age 16... this might be a route we could take if she has to have proof... Idk that she is going to be able to call cops or cps if it happens again. I feel like I am letting her down -16 is a couple years from now.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • This, I'm sure, is not legal, or even the best way to do it, but if it was me and my little sister, I would somehow get her to your home, for a visit or something, then just not sent her back, let your parents find a way to take her from you, let them call in the cops or whoever. Then you tell them why you are keeping her.

    Answer by robinann5 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • She is actually with us right now but set to go back soon. i like your idea but worry what the legal repercussions of kidnapping would do to my husband's job kwim? I feel like I am sending her into the storm and there is nothing i can do about it... Other than wait for it to happen again, call CPS and file for custody or wait for her to emancipate, which ever comes first...


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • Has your sister confided in you any abuse? Abuse is sometimes weird - sometimes all the kids suffer, sometimes only certain kids. If she has told you anything, go to CPS and file a report. That is the best way to start.

    Sibling custody is tough - and like someone else said, you have to have some sort of proof on your side. The NC DSS site says to contact your local DSS office. That is where I would start.

    What does your sister say in all this? And can you prove what your parents did to you?

    Answer by LiliM at 11:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

  • I can't prove anything because it's a step parent issue and my own bio parent was a douche enough to not have filed a report when the abuse that caused me to move took place. now I am talking to my sis more and finding that her other sibling in the home has been physically abusive to her also. There are police reports on file for that. I know there has been pushing and at least one incident of punching- throwing objects that caused a black eye- and certainly what most people would consider emotional abuse wrapped up in all that.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.