Does it happen to all women my age?

I am pregnant for the first time and im a little scared cause im 44 45 in 2 weeks and i have heard that when women get pregnant at my age the baby doesnt become healthy that the baby will have problems now does that happen with all women my age?

Cherry_Carey

Asked by Cherry_Carey at 10:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The risk is higher the older you are...but not all babies born to older moms are sick, or whatever. It all depends on you and your body. I'm sure your dr will do extra tests and will help you through this pregnancy. It's more important that you keep yourself as healthy as possible.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• You really need to consult your doctor about this. The older you are the riskier the pregnancy is.

Answer by louise2 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• There is a higher chance that the baby will have problems, but that doesn't mean that it definatly will. My grandmother befriended a woman who was 43 and just within the last year had her first baby, and hes a healthy little boy.

I wish you all the luck! Just make sure to talk to your ob/gyn :) I'm sure things will turn out great for you.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:14 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I have a friend who was pregnant with her one and only son when she was 44. Her son is now in 4th grade, reading at an 8th grade level. He is involved in many sports and is in the gifted program. So, no, the age does not effect every child, however, there is a greater risk at that age. I agree with the pp, talk with your doctor about your concerns.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I just read an article in American Baby magazine about the best age to get pregnant. The main thing they focused on was womens health and it mentioned about our eggs becoming old and having a slight chance for genetic disorders as we age. I believe as long as you are healthy and talk to your doctor you should be fine. Congratulations on your first and no matter your age consider it a blessing from God.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:41 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It's not that all babies will have problems, some will be totally healthy. However, the risk of birth defects and conditions, especially Downs Syndrome, are more common with women over 40. Just make sure you get good prenatal care and accept any and all tests your doctor deems necessary. Best of luck!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Congratulations! Yes there is a lot more risks involved as a woman gets older, and doctors realize this, so they will be watching you very closely and running more tests than they normally would. You will probably get more u/s as well. However, there is no guarantee the baby will be sick; plenty of women have healthy babies when they are older. The only thing it means is you will want to take extra care of yourself, and see your doctor regularly. Good luck and once again, Congratz!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:27 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My mother in-law had her first and only baby at 43 (she was told she couldnt have kids and had adopted 4 before finding out she was preggers). Cody is healthy and happy, they didnt have any problems with the pregnancy or birth. Like someone else said.. check with your doctor and congrats Momma!!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2009