need help with landscaping ideas

I am trying to figure out what to do with my back yard/patio area. It has this cinderblock retaining wall that starts about 3 feet high and gradually goes down to about 1 foot. It is about 60 ft across my backyad...

Need help!!!
I have a pic that I can email...

jules102977

Asked by jules102977 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Could you make a flower bed across the top of it? A friend of ours put a ledge on theirs and then she put really pretty flower pots about every few feet with annuals in them. I wish I had your dilema, we're getting quotes to have a ton of work done on our uneven yard...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• If I envision what you're saying, when you are on your patio you are looking at this wall? And the yard is grassy behind it--so your patio area is kind of "sunken?"

If so, I would paint the cinder blocks a pretty neutral color--like terra cotta, and then plant colorful and contrasting trailing annuals and perennials that will cascade down the wall to disguise it. Petunias, vinca vine, and clematis are the first ones that come to mind, and i would add a little backdrop of low growing evergreen behind them--about 2-3 feet, to make a pretty little flower bed, and then add brown or black mulch.

PM me a picture if, I'm off! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2009