How do I help my 3wk old daughter get un-constipated?

my daughters 3wks old tomorrow & hasnt pooped in acouple days~what do I do??? Im breastfeeding so Im trying to eat things that should help, but it hasnt. Any ideas?? I really dont want to use a suppository, but Im thinking I may have to. Im getting worried.

MamaCole

Asked by MamaCole at 10:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, MamaCole, in the very beginning, EBF babies DO have more BMs then FF babies. Around 3-6 weeks, this changes. They can go from having a BM after every feeding, to just a couple times a day, or once a day, once every other day, or even, as I said before, up to 10ish day! Strange isn't it. Breast milk leaves very little waste to be eliminated.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• She is too young for juice, but you could try ( I know it sounds crazy but it usually works ) to stick a Q-tip in her anus about half an inch and hold it there for a minute. That is usually pretty effective. You could try to give her one ounce of water ( not much though, and call your ped. just to make sure water is ok ).
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My heart goes out to you. I suggest you drinking more fluids, although it makes for more milk, but the baby might not be getting enough of the fluid once the milk solidifies in the stomach. Also, it wouldn't hurt the baby at all for you to eat more plums, peaches, nectarines, apples. Yes it will make you go more but it will pay off. and one last ditch effort works, give the baby a bottle diluted with water and apple juice for babies. Best wishes and a happier baby.
    Grandmatobe52

Answer by Grandmatobe52 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No stools is a sign that baby is not getting enough milk. Healthy breastfed babies don't get constipated. Make sure your baby is eating 8-12 times every 24 hours. Call a lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader TODAY. La Leche League has a hotline that may have a volunteer Leader. Sometimes no one volunteers on Sunday. If you can't find a lactation consultant you will be able to find a Leader. Go to google and type in La Leche League and your state and start calling Leaders near you. Leaders answer calls on Sunday.

Your baby should be having several stools a day and many wet diapers. It can be hard to tell about wet diapers because disposables can hold so much. If you have a good pump you can start pumping after you breastfed to stimulate your breasts to make more. Don't worry about the amount you make. Don't give any bottles or pacifiers until after you talk to the LC TODAY.

kellymom.com is a good website
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i was told by my pediatrician to give my son who had the same problem an ounce of pear juice
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• La Leche League's hotline is 1-800 LA LECHLE

If you have already been giving your baby bottles then it would probably be a good idea to give your baby your expressed milk or formula after you breastfeed.

If your baby is showing signs of dehydration call your doctor's office or go to an urgent care center or ER. It's hot out and if you don't have AC a baby could get seriously dehydrated.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Don't give pear juice, any other fruit juice, or water to a 3 week old baby. Babies less than 4-6 months aren't supposed to have juice. Breastfed babies under 6 months aren't supposed to have water even if they live in the desert!!!
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:17 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• breastfed babies are almost never constipated. Breastmilk is a natural laxitive. A breastfed baby can go 2 weeks without pooping and it's normal and fine! My son was also breastfed and only pooped once/week.
    You don't need to do anything for her at this point. With my son... if he went beyond a week we did stimulate him to go because he would get crabby.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my son is 8 weeks old and he was constipated, are doctor told us to give him some prune juice. so we got some gerbers prune and apple juice for babys and gave him that and it worked right away!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No stool is NOT a sign baby isnt getting enough milk. The ONE & ONLY way to know if your baby is getting enough is 6 wet diapers a day after 5 days of age. That's the only way to know! It's not uncommon for breastfed babies to go up to a week without a BM. My daughter happens to go every 3 days. Is baby trying to pass stool but its not coming out? Is the baby's belly rock hard? Is the baby very gassy & seeming to be in pain? If stool is coming out is it hard & pellet like? If not your baby isn't constipated, baby simply does not have to go.

If you just HAVE to have your baby go even though they obviously don't need to yet there are things you can do to encourage it but not force it. Warm rags on the tummy, bicycling the legs, & tummy massage will help it come out IF baby has to go. You can take baby's rectal temp. This is almost certain to cause a BM but it's not good to do often, it can teach your baby to rely on it to poo
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2009