Who else let her kid get a cell phone young?

My daughter got her cell phone two years ago. After first grade, shortly after turning 7. Anyone else let her kid get one at that age or younger?

MomWantsCoffee

Asked by MomWantsCoffee at 10:27 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• What for? In my opinion, why pay another bill when a child that young does not need a cell phone? A teenage driver I think should have a cell phone-but w/o the ability to text, and with a spending limit. I think that is solely for a safety reason. When I see kids using cell phones....I just don't get it I guess. It seems so pointless. It makes cell phones seem like toys to them....and they are not toys!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• All I know is the younger you start them out with things the more they expect them as they get older. JMO but there's no need for a cell phone that young. I didn't have one until I was almost 30 yrs old and I was fine. Our children will earn what they want, they will work to pay for them when they are driving age. I sooo agree with sweetmoonem!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Why in the world would a 7 year old need a cell phone? I think it's ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• All my kids have their own cell phones, my youngest was 8 when she got hers.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• no way on this earth would my 7 year old get a cell phone.. she will get a PRE PAID one when shes 15/16 and has a after school/summer job and perhaps a car until then there is no god given reason they need one
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:45 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• No, my daughter didn't get one until she had 'reason' for one. I didn't let her go anywhere with anyone I didn't know so therefore she didn't need a phone. when she was older and going places and I needed to get in touch with her - She 'needed' a phone.
    Stacie2261

Answer by Stacie2261 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My son always breaks his the first week he has them. He has had one off and on since he started working when he was 16 and could pay for it. I wish they made durable cell phones that didn't cost a lot.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think they should get one either when they are old enough to pay for half, or when they show that they are responsible enough to use it properly. It really depends on the child's maturity levels.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I might get bashed for this, but my dd is almost 7 and YES SHE HAS HAD one since middle of last year, why? she was going to a school that was pk-6th and 2 older boys tried to molest her, and I'll be damned if she can get a hold of me again!!! the school didn't contact me when that happened, I found out after she got home. so YES my YOUNG DAUGHTER has a pre-paid for EMERGENCIES and she knows its only for calling mommy, daddy and 911!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Why, Yes. My granddaughter just turned 5. For her birthday, I bought her an iPhone. Yes, I wanted her to be way advanced of all her friends. I figured this should make her the most popular child in all she does....

WTH is wrong with you... No, I did not and won't do this. To each his own, but that is just ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2009