Should parents have to pay for circumcision?

Since the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend circumcision and insurance companies view circumcision as a cosmetic procedure should parents have to pay for circumcision.

Circumcision costs about $250. Should insurance companies, Medicaid, and the new national childrens health care prograns pay up? There are people that don't want their money paying for abortions. What about those of us who don't want our money paying for circumcision.

I live in Arizona and according to the information I could fird Medicaid does not pay for circumcision.

GailllAZ

Asked by GailllAZ at 10:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that they should.

It is not a medically necessary procedure, why should insurance (unless you have super good insurance that you pay out the ass for) pay for it?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Yes I think parents should pay for it. I agree that it is not a medical necessity.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• there is no need for a kid to be cut medically so why should insurance pay for a non medical needed procedure?
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 11:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I agree, no medical reason for it so you should pay out of pocket!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Though they say it's not medically necessary, I think they should. I have 2 teenage brothers and they are disguisting. I don't even think they change their underwear everyday let alone would wash their penis throughly. So it they weren't cut they would have infections all the time.
    snjbjac

Answer by snjbjac at 12:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think many people do have to pay for it now. I know at my hospitals it's not part of the stay anymore and if parents want it they have to pay for it and if their insurance doesn't cover it then they don't get it done in the hospital, they have to have it done in clinic where they require payment right away or something like that.
    My son isn't circ'd. But I worry that by it not being covered it is going to turn into something only the rich can afford and be a sign of wealth.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Sure, why not? It's a procedure that parents choose to do or not to do. It's not a necessary surgery.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 12:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Well since WHO (world Health Organization) reccomends the procedure....I think that in light of recent studies showing that circumcision aids in Aids prevention...yes, your insurance SHOULD pay for it as a preventative medicince. Heres a link so you can check it out.

ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• It's cosmetic. Parents should pay for it if they want it done. Those who claim it's health related; that's BS in my book. We don't remove the tonsils from every newborn baby because they MIGHT get infected, why remove the foreskin because it MIGHT be a problem?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• well said mancosmomma!
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2009