Do you like to only take advice from people who have raised "good" kids?

Sometimes it irritates me when people, whose kids turned out to be horrible, try to give me advice on parenting. Yes, granted they might have learned a thing or two, but they don't really know what works. Unless they are giving me advice on what NOT to do. Then I take it with a grain of salt. Or when people who have raised like 2 girls try to give me advice on raising a boy. And even worse, people who have raised 1 kid try telling me how to take care of a family of 5. Most of the time, their advice sounds condescending. I don't mean here on CafeMom, I mean people such as family, friends, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• umm a person who raised a girl can still give valid info for a boy regarding like diaper/feeding/ general issues.. and no offense ppl will always ALWAYS give you their 2 cents just nod and smile and leave it at that cause its not worth fretting over just continue doing what u do
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 11:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• All advice that people pass on to me i listen and take what i choose and leave the rest to going in one ear and out the other. You know as I do everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an asshole.

I have learned eariler in parenting everyone thinks they know it ALL.......  All that I know is what's best for MY CHILD.......

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Umm... I don't take advice! I don't care if you have "good kids" or not, I'm most likely not going to take advice. We do what works for us! IF I NEED advice on something, I'll ask, and take EVERYTHING I get with a HUGE grain of salt. Because it's easy for everyone to tell me - oh, this works or that works, but that means nothing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I don't take advice from bad parents... If I doubt my instinct on parenting, I look up what the experts say and read psychology and parenting articles about it and decide what is best. I definitely don't take most of the advice given on CafeMom about parenting or relationships.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Why would I take advice from a bad parent? I suppose if they were telling me what they did wrong, that might be helpful, lol...but if they're trying to give me techniques that THEY used, that would be stupid to use them myself. I wouldn't take weight loss advice from a person who was 400lbs and I wouldn't take business advice from someone who had a failing business...so why would I take bad advice from anyone else who failed?
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• When choosing who to take advice from, I mainly look at the intent. When someone says "Spank her to make her listen", all I hear is violence and selfishness. What does the child benefit from that? Ya know? If the advice is directly for the good of the child and the psychology of it is logical and positive, I take it. I don't care about what people say on baby training or pushed milestones. They're not important. If I know a parent who's every decision is made for convenience (they rarely make "good" kids), I totally ignore their opinion cause they don't share my intentions. Intent is about all that matters to me. Moms of many could learn a few things from moms of 1 or with different gender children. It just depends on the individuals involved.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I listen to any advise as long as it's presented without attitude. As for following it-depends. You never know when you'll get a fresh prespective on things. Some of those Wow I never thought of that in a million years ideas. However just cause someone's kids seem "good" ha. Kids are like us. We all have our days, flaws and even those good kids can be deceiving. No one is perfect.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• LMAO! I have to answer this one anonymously!

I thought only my MIL gave me child-rearing advice while having raised only one child whom she complains about incessantly! I always want to say to her, "Shut up, you stupid woman! Like I'd take advice from the woman who created THIS GUY with her steller freakin' parenting! NO WAY!!!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2009