I am sad, and overwhelmed. I don't know what to do anymore.

Yesterday, I actually thought about how it would feel to slit my wrists. I know I won't because I have too many people depending on me, and I know how suicide can affect a person for the rest of their lives. I won't hurt my kids that way. I know I need help, but I have been holding out on medication because I am breastfeeding, and I don't trust that it will not hurt my baby. She is now 1 and I can wean her, but it seems as if it will be impossible. Anytime I try to get advice on weaning everyone tells me to wait till she is 2. I just want to be happy. I have no reason not to be. Sometimes I think that I am just tired, or that I want everything to ALWAYS be ok. I guess I am jst venting...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Health

• Wean your daughter. She will be fine. You need to take care of yourself because, as you said, your children need you. Make an appointment with your doctor so you can be placed on an depression pill.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Start by clearing your head take a deep breathe and know that your child will not be breast feeding for the rest of it's life. You can start by cutting out one feeding at a time the one that he/she can do without for my son that was the afternoon feeding he ate more solids durning that time of day. Depression is real and it can hurt you and the ones you love if you don't take care of it. I would suggest talking to a doctor as soon as possible. In the mean time go get some sunshine and a little exercise that seems to help a friend of mine that suffers from depression. Hope this helps, good luck.
    LJSMOM31

Answer by LJSMOM31 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Many moms wean by age 1, so don't worry about that. Wean her and call for an appointment now. You are a good person, and it will be better for your family if you get help.

Answer by Bmat at 11:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• You need to get help now before you get worse. The doc can prescribe you meds that won't effect your milk. It's far more of a risk to continue living like this than to risk a small amount of prescription to get into the milk.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I've been where you are. If you feel comfortable PM me and I'll talk to you. It's good to know that you were strong enough not to slit your wrists. Life can be overwhelming at times, but you will make it through this. Hugs to you!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Which will hurt your daughter more, you committing suicide or you weaning her?
    No more excuses, get help NOW.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed my daughter only for a month and she is 6 years old now. She is healthy and well. You need to concentrate on yourself now. Like someone else responded what will hurt your daughter more, you not being there to raise her or stopping her from breastfeeding? She will be just fine. Take it nice and slow and one day at a time. I, too, have been there and have dealt with all the emotions you are. If you need to talk or to just to vent, drop me a line and I'd be more than happy to chat with you. GOOD LUCK! It does get easier.
    emmasmommy2007

Answer by emmasmommy2007 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Please whatever you do don't hurt yourself. You are right that it would hurt your kids too. You are a good mom as you have breastfed your dd for a whole year. It may be time for you to wean your dd and give a little more to yourself. God Bless
    Anonymous