Faking?

Is it possible for a 5 month old to fake whining/crying?
Lol my daughter will be whining or crying then when I'm trying to calm her down she will smile at me then keep whining. I don't know if she's being serious and somethings wrong or if she's faking it.

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 11:34 AM on Jul. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's probably crying because she wants your attention. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an infant needing mommy snuggles!
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• hah, I know what you mean my son did that its funny.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My daughter used to do that all the time. It was like a game to her. I think she just wanted to see my reaction. She also fake coughs. She's been doing that since about four months. When ever she would start to " fake whin" or "fake cough" I would do it right back to her and she would just laugh. Dont take it seriously she just wants to see what mommy will do if she does certain things.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Oh no I don't mind giving her the attention if she wants it, I always pick her up and give her cuddles and such untill she calms down. I just didn't know if she was doing it for attention or if she had something wrong her.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• lol she does she fake cough too!
    BambiF

• io think so my son is 7 months and does the same thing... he will fuss and make a crying like face and i think throw a tantrum he whines then looks to see if someone is paying attention and stops for a second and starts up again
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 12:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think all babies do the fake whine and cough for attention at some point. God knows my daughter does. I read somewhere that the coughing thing is actually for attention, and they'll do it louder and harder until you come see what's wrong. My daughter has me wrapped around her finger though. She'll cough a few times, I'll go see what's up, and she, too, gets a big smile on her face. They just like spending time with their mommies!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 1:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I agree with everyone else. And don't worry that buy giving her the attention she asks for that you are spoiling her. They are too young for this.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• i think he's just playing with cause/effect realization - if i cry, what will happen (mommy picks me up and loves on me). I think it's cute and I wouldn't worry about spoiling her, it's a good thing for her to start realizing that the things she does can affect how people around her react.

Answer by missanc at 2:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• my son does the same thing and he is six months old it is funny to them there is nothing wrong with picking her up and snuggling
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2009